Tether your Wi-Fi XOOM to your Android Phone via Bluetooth

I came across this beauty a few minutes ago on XDA.  Even though it’s a few months old, it definitely applies to the new Wi-Fi only XOOM and possibly the new HC tabs being released.  In fact, it has now made my XOOM my primary travel machine instead of the iPad 2.  Because most of you are painfully aware that Android cannot see ad-hoc networks, and that’s exactly what apps like android-wifi-tether and Barnacle broadcast.

I also tested it via SpeedTest and got about 800kbps down which is exactly what I get on the phone in my area on Verizon Wireless.  So the XOOM should be seeing almost native speeds to that of the phone.  It worked very well with my Droid Pro and should work with my Samsung Fascinate.  Check it out!

An Android Pep Talk

After its futile bidding attempts for Yahoo and being shunned, Microsoft’s Steve Ballmer reveals that they are not interested in the Yahoo deal anymore, but might look to form a

MacroDroid – Device Automation allows you to set up your device exactly how you want it ['Watch' This App]

If you’ve ever wished that you could just shake your phone to upload a photo to Facebook or turn or your data connection when you open a certain app then

Motorola’s latest Moto X ad, ‘Lazy Phone’

It’s never been easier to get where you’re going because Moto X lets you navigate without ever touching your phone. Ask for directions, or whatever else you want – no

1. Robert Gallagher
    May 27, 15:14 Reply

Can Verizon see me “tethering” the Xoom to my DroidX, and think I’m stealing bandwidth, or tethering without using their paid tethering service?

• Riley
      May 27, 15:21 Reply

AT&T nailed jailbroken iPhone users because iOS routes tethered traffic through a separate access point. As far as I know, identifying Android tether-ers would require packet inspection, which is harder and more expensive.

In my humble opinion, it is our duty to tether without paying, however possible, as long as carriers insist on charging you twice for the same bandwidth.

2. Scea67
    May 27, 21:53 Reply

I tether my Ionia Tab to my Droid X!! It works fantastic!! I already pay for unlimited web, so i can uuse it anyway I see fit!!!

3. Beth
    May 28, 05:56 Reply

Researched all evening and it seems to be a no-go for my Aria.

4. Deezus
    May 28, 19:26 Reply

This doesn’t work on a wifi xoom to an evo

5. Cortez54
    June 08, 05:42 Reply

I just use the wireless hotspot on my HTC EVO 4G. Secure, more range, and I am paying for it anyway…

• Cortez54
      June 08, 05:44 Reply

With my  wifi Xoom of course…. My bad, left that out!

6. Anonymous
    December 15, 12:59 Reply

My WiFi only Xoom works just fine tethered to my Droid X2.  Reason number 13256 of why I LOVE Android!