Archos Gen 9 Tablets to Feature Honeycomb and Market?

Archos recently announced a launch event in Paris to unveil their new Gen 9 tablets. If you don’t know, Archos has been making great “low budget” Android tablets/ media devices for a while now but none have featured the Android Market or any Google Apps. But, if you check out the invitation above, there are two distinct images with the little bee (Honeycomb) and the Android guy holding a shopping bag (Android Market). So,  is Archos tipping their hand at some new features for these devices? Let’s hope!

We’re expecting Archos to keep the low prices they have been known for, yet satisfy the larger crowds with more “Google”.  The event is on June 23rd at 6:30 pm at the Ritz Hotel in Paris and we’ll be keeping an eye on things. Do you own an Archos device with Android?  What would you change about it?

Source: Archos Lounge

Phil Esposito
Phil Esposito 170 posts

Phil Esposito is a 17 year old Android advocate. His reviews and articles have been showcased on multiple technology sites across the web. Besides written reviews, Phil specializes in video production and incorporates videos into his articles whenever he gets the chance.

Google hires ‘Chief Game Designer at Android Play Studio’

This is interesting stuff… Google has reportedly hired one Noah Falstein to be their next (or is it first?) chief game designer. According to a cached version of his LinkedIn profile,

Alcatel One Touch T10 Android tablet unveiled

Alcatel is not the leading mobile phone brand in the world, but they are working to gain a notable position in the market. Of course it’s not an easy task

Samsung and Trek team up to take cycling into the next generation

We’ve noted some products at CES that were a bit out of the norm, but Samsung and Trek, an American bicycle manufacturer, have two prototypes on display this week that

1. Rev_ziggy
    June 03, 21:11 Reply

I own the current high end archos tablet, the Archos 101 Internet tablet. Quite frankly the only thing i would change about it is to make it a google sanctioned tablet and increase the RAM. those are my only essentials. Other than that it works great, internal 16gb plus my 32gb micro-sd card provide more than enough room. no need for a 3g contract, just connect to a wifi network.

2. Anonymous
    June 04, 11:14 Reply

Best way to save is called collective buying!!! search online for “Printapons” every day a local business will be featured and prices will be discounted upto 90% off

3. Unkle Chaos
    June 04, 14:38 Reply

I’ll be counting down the days!!!

If they release smoothly, I reckon I’ll buy one.
    Probably be looking to see if they bring out a ~5inch version, hopefully with 32GB SSD.
    HDD just doesn’t quite convince me with reliability.

Right now it seems you just can’t beat Archos for their current price range.
    Certainly better than paying an arm and a leg for any apple stuff.

• Android4life
      June 09, 17:13 Reply

Dont bother waiting for this just get the Asus eee pad transformer. I’ve done months and months of research to find the best budget tablet and that is it. While the new archos may tie it in price and features, I know for a fact it wont top it and you’ll have to wait an extra month or 2 to actually get your hands on one of these archos tablets. Just go with Asus.

• Fortify_98
        June 16, 20:02 Reply

I agree. I am not at all dissapointed with my Asus eee transformer. Excellent and clear screen. Benchmarks report show the performance is better then the other Android tablets out there. Best of all it come packed with tonnes of out of the box apps.

4. Michael
    June 06, 12:48 Reply

Yea, I have an Archos 101 Internet Tablet, and I regret buying it. It’s an ok device, but it’s not really well suited for the purpose for which I purchased it, reading. I really should have bought a Nook, but I thought that by getting a general purpose device, I could get the best of all three worlds (Kindle, Nook, and Google Books). But, the screen is pretty crappy and the 16:9 ratio is not ideal for reading. Oh well, lesson learned! :)

• Mkaosis
      June 06, 23:44 Reply

Archos 70 makes an excellent e reading device and with the smaller screen viewing angles at close range arent a big deal

5. Perempgative
    June 10, 18:23 Reply

I have an Archos 101 Internet Tablet and the only thing it definitely needs is more RAM.

6. There are rumors and speculation as of now such as Gen9 devices having
    capacitive touchscreens, running on Android 3.0, available NAND/HDD
    memory sizes, and so on. We sure will find out more ASAP at least
    before June 2011, when the new tablets are going to be released.

7. lg vx8575
    December 23, 08:58 Reply

The Archos Gen 9 will come out to play packing an ARM A9 1.6GHz
    processor, up to 250GB hard drive, 3G radio, although there’s a
    possibility of a WiFi only version as well apparently, and will run the
    Google guy’s tablet specific operating system Android 3.0 Honeycomb.