Droid Charge Gingerbread Update Spotted in the Wild

Personally, I’ve always wondered why the Samsung Droid Charge was launched with Froyo instead of Gingerbread. The only logical explanation that comes to mind is that Samsung hadn’t yet perfected TouchWiz to work with 2.3. Those days may be coming to an end, however, as the guys over at VZBuzz have gotten their hands on a video of the Droid Charge running what appears to be an official Gingerbread update. Now, there’s no certainty here, as we don’t even have a release date for said update, but it’s possible that a lucky hacker got their hands on an early build.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crt5xhLWmnM[/youtube]

From the video, we can tell that the update includes the same version of TouchWiz, along with Android 2.3.3.  There are also some bug fixes and a few color changes throughout the UI. In the last minute of the video, we can see that the Netflix app is working, while it doesn’t function on the current Froyo build that the Charge ships with. Other than that, not much is known about the update. But we’ll do some digging and try to find some more information.

In the meantime, how many of you out there own a Droid Charge? Excited that we’re finally seeing some news about Gingerbread for the device? Drop a comment below or on our Facebook Wall!

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

US Cellular Web Only special to include free phones and activation credits

A new “limited time” web-only promotion from US Cellular kicked off yesterday to include a $100 activation credit for customers activating any plan and any device. Several Android devices are also marked

Fleksy Keyboard introduces 15 new languages in beta

If you don’t know about Fleksy keyboard yet, you probably should. It’s one of the most rapidly growing keyboards for Android, and for good reason. They recently set a world

U.S. Cellular to Start Offering Pre-Paid Android Smart Phone

It was recently announced that U.S. Cellular will start offering Android smart phones available for their pre-paid service. Starting today, April 15th, U.S. Cellular is announcing new pre-paid data plans as well as two

1. MadMax8600
    June 27, 18:33 Reply

I have the Charge (awesome phone) and it was built to play Netflix.  Can you say Super AMOLED display.  Gimme, gimme, gimme…. ;)

2. MadMax8600
    June 27, 18:33 Reply

3. MadMax8600
    June 27, 18:33 Reply

4. MadMax8600
    June 27, 18:33 Reply

5. MadMax8600
    June 27, 18:33 Reply

6. Guy
    June 27, 22:10 Reply

I have had a Charge for 2 weeks. Great phone. I think Gingerbread is over hyped. My wife has it on here Droid X and there really aren’t that many things different than Froyo that I can see. A couple of visual updates, but why is everybody so excited about this?

• Joesmith
      July 28, 18:26 Reply

droid x in on a updated 2.2, not gingerbread

7. Steve
    June 28, 00:47 Reply

I’ve got a Charge and was a little hesitant about getting it since Samsung isn’t quite known for speedy updates.  If Gingerbread comes out soon I would all smiles and let everyone know it too!  But I’ll believe it when I actually see as an official release.

8. Steve
    June 28, 00:47 Reply

9. Patrickcorbett75
    August 19, 21:08 Reply

I traded my thunderbolt for the charge and dont regret it one bit!awesome phone! Hope 2.3 comes soon!

10. Patrickcorbett75