Droid Charge Gingerbread Update Spotted in the Wild

Personally, I’ve always wondered why the Samsung Droid Charge was launched with Froyo instead of Gingerbread. The only logical explanation that comes to mind is that Samsung hadn’t yet perfected TouchWiz to work with 2.3. Those days may be coming to an end, however, as the guys over at VZBuzz have gotten their hands on a video of the Droid Charge running what appears to be an official Gingerbread update. Now, there’s no certainty here, as we don’t even have a release date for said update, but it’s possible that a lucky hacker got their hands on an early build.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crt5xhLWmnM[/youtube]

From the video, we can tell that the update includes the same version of TouchWiz, along with Android 2.3.3.  There are also some bug fixes and a few color changes throughout the UI. In the last minute of the video, we can see that the Netflix app is working, while it doesn’t function on the current Froyo build that the Charge ships with. Other than that, not much is known about the update. But we’ll do some digging and try to find some more information.

In the meantime, how many of you out there own a Droid Charge? Excited that we’re finally seeing some news about Gingerbread for the device? Drop a comment below or on our Facebook Wall!

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

Beta Test This! Itching Thumb Task Manager

Take an Android Task Manager and add a webOS look.  Mix them together and bake them for a few hours. What do you get?  A cool looking task manager named

Touch Revolution Launches TRū™ Multi- Touch Monitor Product Line at CES

Remember last year when Touch Revolution introduced the Android kitchen?

Touch Revolution has been busy, and at this year’s CES, they released info about their working with Android. On their site, they mentioned their “groundbreaking implementation of Android on a 21.5” TRū™ Multi-Touch Monitor on a recumbent exercise bike with an innovative touch screen user interface powered by Touch Revolution’s NIMble™ Embedded Touch Computer.”

Amazon to Announce Their “Kindle Fire” Tablet Tomorrow Morning

Last week Amazon began sending out invitations to a press event scheduled for September 28, in NYC. Although the invitation did not say what the event was for, almost everyone

1. MadMax8600
    June 27, 18:33 Reply

I have the Charge (awesome phone) and it was built to play Netflix.  Can you say Super AMOLED display.  Gimme, gimme, gimme…. 😉

2. MadMax8600
    June 27, 18:33 Reply

3. MadMax8600
    June 27, 18:33 Reply

4. MadMax8600
    June 27, 18:33 Reply

5. MadMax8600
    June 27, 18:33 Reply

6. Guy
    June 27, 22:10 Reply

I have had a Charge for 2 weeks. Great phone. I think Gingerbread is over hyped. My wife has it on here Droid X and there really aren’t that many things different than Froyo that I can see. A couple of visual updates, but why is everybody so excited about this?

• Joesmith
      July 28, 18:26 Reply

droid x in on a updated 2.2, not gingerbread

7. Steve
    June 28, 00:47 Reply

I’ve got a Charge and was a little hesitant about getting it since Samsung isn’t quite known for speedy updates.  If Gingerbread comes out soon I would all smiles and let everyone know it too!  But I’ll believe it when I actually see as an official release.

8. Steve
    June 28, 00:47 Reply

9. Patrickcorbett75
    August 19, 21:08 Reply

I traded my thunderbolt for the charge and dont regret it one bit!awesome phone! Hope 2.3 comes soon!

10. Patrickcorbett75