We at AndroidGuys were lucky enough to get some hands on time with the newly released EVO 3D 4G running on the Sprint network, and have had enough time to learn the in’s and out’s of the unit. Continue reading to get our opinion on the handset, as well as a video going over the finer points of the phone.
I am going to let the video do most of the talking here, but I wanted to give you some bullet points about the things that I found out using the handset for the past week.
- 3D is not as gimmicky as I thought. It is a really nice touch, and if 3D ever gains broad acceptance for consumers, will be something that an owner of this phone will be glad they have. Watching movies in 3D is a joy as well, although I am not keen on spending extra money just to watch a movie that is formated for the device.
- Build Quality. Coming off a run of owning Samsung devices, this HTC device feels solid in my hand, with good weight and heft. It is thin enough to fit in your pocket comfortably, but has enough screen real estate to make browsing and gaming a true joy.
- 4G is fast. Really fast. Geekgasm fast (depending where you are in the country of course, I tested in Boston).
- Price. At $200 on contract, you can’t go wrong.
- Sense 3.0 is beautiful, it really adds a lot to the experience.
- Battery. Man, this thing could suck the chrome off a caddy. It sucks battery power down like a fat man at a buffet. I was hoping with the dual core processor, it would help the battery life. Buy an extra battery if you are getting this handset.
- Weird power button. The power button on the unit is really hard to get depressed for some reason, it may just be the unit I have here, but I have to really press on the button to get it to work.
- Odd processes running randomly causing handset to heat up.
- Lack of ability to share 3D images to some sort of service where the masses can see.
The Bottom Line
In my opinion, the pro’s outweigh the cons for this handset, and honestly I found myself using it more than my personal device. I don’t think you will be disappointed getting it if you are aware of the drawbacks, and have the extra coin to buy an extra battery. Check out the vid below to get the full scoop.