Motorola Xoom Android 3.2 Update Rolling Out, Includes SD Card Support

We first heard about Android 3.2 when Huawei announced their 7-inch MediaPad last month, and we learned that it is essentially a version of Honeycomb that was built with more processors and smaller displays in mind. It would appear that the guys over at DroidLife have gotten their hands on some information, and they’re claiming that the Moto Xoom is getting a 3.2 update that’s already begun to roll out in small batches.

Obviously this update is mostly for maintenance and bug-fixing purposes, as the Xoom has a 10.1-inch screen. The update includes the awesome screen compatibility modes that we told you about yesterday. Of course, the big news with the update is that it (finally) enables support for SD cards on the device. While most people are satisfied with the 32GB of onboard storage, some feel that SD cards should have been enabled from the start.

No word on how long the update will take to reach all the Xooms out there, but we want to hear from you! Have any Xoom owners out there gotten their 3.2 update yet? What do you think? Drop a comment below or on our Facebook Wall!

Source Android Police

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

As Expected, Number Porting Comes to Google Voice

We can’t say we didn’t see this one coming. Just last week we reported on how a number porting option was found on Google Voice, listed with a $20 fee. Pulled almost as quickly as it was noticed, the feature was expected to be rolled out in short order. And, based on the title of this post, you know the rest of the story.

Featured

Recap: 5 Android-related posts you may have missed this week (May 24)

Were at the end of another great week in Android and so let’s take a look at some of the awesome articles written by the staff here at AndroidGuys. This is

Bitdefender combats smartphone theft with Android Wear features ['Watch' This App]

Bitdefender has rolled out a new update which aims to give users some peace of mind when it comes to potential smartphone theft. Included in the latest version are two

1. Guags
    July 12, 21:07 Reply

I’m confused about the SD support. I have had SD support on my Acer A500 with Android 3.0 since I bought it. Why didn’t the Zoom?

2. Chillijunky
    July 12, 22:23 Reply

Most non-US Xoom owners are still waiting for the Honeycomb 3.1 update from Motorola! So 3.2 is just a distant (not very optimistic) dream.

3. Nicholas Falletta
    July 12, 23:26 Reply

Personally the 32gb of onboard storage has been more than enough for me, but I agree it should have supported it out of the box, not 3-4 months after release. Waiting on the 3.2 update…until then please check out hive player, the only music player on honeycomb with the scrollable widget for music library navigation.

4. Willybor
    July 13, 00:11 Reply

Just got the update xoom wifi. 3.2 with SD card support. Tks Google and mota.

5. Giberoni7
    July 13, 01:58 Reply

So where does one go to get the update?  Is there a website to go to or do get I get it directly from Motorolla?

• BossMann
      August 02, 04:55 Reply

Your Xoom will automatically tell you updates are available when you are able to receive the update.

6. Robert Auger
    July 13, 11:21 Reply

Indeed, Android 3.1 for non-US Wifi Xoom would be nice !

7. imaj
    July 13, 21:44 Reply

Just got the 3.2 update, glad to have a couple of the new features!

8. livekamal
    July 15, 06:15 Reply

I got my update today. Sydney, Australia. It supports SD card yahhhhhhhh and zoom and stretch of mobile apps

• Sfcsarge
      July 15, 12:52 Reply

OK I got my update an hour ago, and when I usb to my computer it sees the SD Card but Astro File Explorer does not see the external SDCard just the one it always sees. How do I get to the external SD card from the Xoom?

• Sfcsarge
        July 15, 12:55 Reply

Also on my HTC Droid I can move application to the SDCard, but This option is not there when I manage the application on the Xoom.

• Sfcsarge
        July 20, 16:35 Reply

Found it under /mnt/external1.  This is a stupid name for an SDCard It should have been SDCard2.

9. Nichalsingh
    July 18, 13:40 Reply

I live in South Africa but got my Xoom in the UK, no 3.1 or 3.2 updates as yet, this sucks

10. Hector
    July 22, 06:47 Reply

Has the 3.2 update come out yet on the verizon 3g version?

11. Dave Hallam
    July 28, 11:22 Reply

According to motorola, Xoom will get the update in Europe next month (August)

12. Icey_man85
    July 29, 21:59 Reply

Got when I stopped in Zurich a couple weeks ago.

13. Elyonsjr30
    July 31, 07:51 Reply

They have been saying for weeks 3.2 is coming.but ithink that it is mpre rumors.i check everyday.been waiting for sd capability forever

14. BossMann
    August 02, 04:51 Reply

Live in Houston, Texas. Got my update a few weeks ago.

15. Androiduser2008
    August 06, 15:41 Reply

I have received my Android 3.2 update early this morning…
    Is it me or does anyone feel for second as if they own an Apple product by owning a Motorola Xoom? These incremental update releasing “small” features remind me a lot of Apple iOS…. Just Saying

16. Anonymous
    August 11, 08:21 Reply

Here in the UK (the poorer relations), I have seen no sign, I check every other day or so.

Last night the Xoom stated that an update was available, with trepidation, I downloaded and installed it. Whatever the update was. it bricked my Xoom.

Some research of the Motorolla website left me no option but to do a ‘hard’ factory re-set. Losing all my files, but pseudo retaining all the installed apps although unusable. Had to manually uninstall and then re-install apps.

One thing that does strike me is that an SD slot that does not work, i a poor way to launch a product!

John Szepietowski

17. Nolandre
    August 17, 13:05 Reply

Got xoom update about 2 weeks ago.. I have not tried the SD card support yet but the screen compatibility mode is nice..

18. Edward Richardson
    October 03, 04:30 Reply

Surely this is urgent….   ITV player requires 3.2 as a minimum and the Rugby World Cup is on! I’ve got an EMEA 3G Xoom, have updated it to 3.1, but ITV player still refuses to load.

19. Nick
    February 08, 15:47 Reply

My Brazil Xoom was updated only today, 4.0.3, is when Xoom 3 or 4 is released here :p

• Ruben
      February 08, 21:27 Reply

Just got my update today here in Chile. Looks like latinamericans finally getting onboard!