UPDATE: $1500 for first HP TouchPad Android port, Hack N Mod first to Donate

With HP’s recent announcement that they will be discontinuing all webOS hardware devices, they dropped the HP TouchPad down to a mere $99 for the 16GB and only $149 for the 32GB. Now obviously this price is unbeatable (I bought 3) and is a steal for a 9.7″ screen, 1.2 GHz dual-core processor tablet. The only question the Android community has now is: “Can we put Android on this tablet?”

The TouchDroid Team is already working on porting Gingerbread to the TouchPad and Hack N Mod has joined in on the fun by offering a $1500 bounty to anyone who can fully port Android to the TouchPad. As of right now, they have almost all the sponsors filled, if you would like to sponsor this project, visit the site here.

Hopefully we can see the rest of the sponsor spots filled because if we see this accomplished, the TouchPad will become the most inexpensive “high end” Android tablet at only $99 – $149. Would you want to see this port come to life? Did you rush out on Saturday to purchase an HP TouchPad? Leave all your comments below.

Source: Android and Me

Phil Esposito
Phil Esposito 170 posts

Phil Esposito is a 17 year old Android advocate. His reviews and articles have been showcased on multiple technology sites across the web. Besides written reviews, Phil specializes in video production and incorporates videos into his articles whenever he gets the chance.

Lonely Planet Drops City Guides to 99¢ Until Christmas

onely Planet announced earlier today that they have dropped the prices of their 25 augmented reality apps down to 99¢ a piece. The apps, which normally run $4.99 each, help users find hundreds of points of interest for each city.

Google Wallet to Launch Today, September 19th? (Rumor)

Roughly four months after it made its on-stage debut, Google Wallet is readying for its real-world arrival. According to information obtained by TechCrunch, various partners have been receiving notices advising

Nexus One Getting 2.3.4 Now, No GTalk Video Chat

Well, it looks like you Nexus One users are finally getting some love from Google, in the form of Android v2.3.4.

1. T1gerskt
    August 22, 21:47 Reply

It hasn’t been ported yet… The video is a hoax. The touch-droid.com team is still working on porting Gingerbread to it

• Ozzmus
      August 24, 03:27 Reply

So who has heard of the touchpad 64gb with dual core 1.5ghz? I pinged my distributor to get my hands on a heard of the 32gb and I have 20 coming but they came back and said they had the 64gb unit (only1) I could buy Also so WTH I said send it. Turns out it was due to release next week in the US. I am torn between keeping it as a badass TP or making big $$$$ on eBay ith a rare unit.

2. Log1x
    August 22, 21:47 Reply

The TouchDroid team has reported nothing. This is completely false information.

3. Thomas Sohmers
    August 22, 21:49 Reply

Learn to fact check… I am 99% sure that this video is a fake, and the Touchdroid team has NOT announced that we have ported Android….yet… I would suggest taking this video down, since you are just giving more views to a troll.

Again: This video is not by Team Touchdroid, and Team Touchdroid has not announced a date for the release.

• Vincent Messina
      August 22, 22:30 Reply

Thank you for the info, the author is looking into the video now and will update accordingly.

• Phil Esposito
      August 22, 22:44 Reply

The post has since been update, video removed, sponsors updated. Thanks again for the info.

4. HacknMod
    August 22, 21:53 Reply

As of now, we have filled all sponsors except one!  We will continue to increase the bounty as we receive more sponsors!

• Phil Esposito
      August 22, 22:43 Reply

Thanks for the info! We have update the post to match the recent sponsors.

5. John
    August 22, 22:03 Reply

say goodbye to webos forever… Huge lulz, loving my 32gb touchdroid I mean touchpad, looking forward to android port, beautiful hardware

6. Anonymous
    August 22, 22:56 Reply

Hell, I saw a tweet from a TouchDroid team member yesterday saying only one of them even have a touchpad in hand so far! The rest are waiting on shipping… CAN YOU SAY FACT CHECK???

7. Elvis
    August 23, 00:31 Reply

how’s the screen on this? I’ll go buy it in less than two jiggles of a jackrabbit’s…. well, you get the point.

8. Guest
    August 23, 02:46 Reply

Why would you want to port such a clunky OS on to the touchpad?

• guessster
      August 23, 23:08 Reply

lemme guess, you own a shitty apple device huh with that limited OS of yours?

• Guest
        August 24, 02:05 Reply

I have a palm pre 2 hacked and rooted on the sprint network.

9. guest
    August 26, 06:35 Reply

got a touch pad through my school for 99 for the 32 gb haha im so happy and all my classmates are pissed they just spent 599 last week lol

10. Mad Mick
    August 27, 09:55 Reply

I grabbed a touchpad a few days ago. Being an IT professional, I am dissapointed with web os` offerings. I am looking at ubuntu but optimally android honeycomb would be amazing.