Millennial Media: Android Leads All Mobile Platforms with 61% Share
The latest Millennial Media ‘Mobile Mix’ has landed today and it shows Android continuing its dominance over all other mobile platforms. According to their ad network metrics, Android has grown 15% month-over-month and now has a 61% share of overall smartphone impressions. Apple comes in at a distant second place with 21% of the market, down six points from the month before. For whatever reason, the dip was considerably bigger than the previous few months which only saw slight 1% declines. Coming in third, RIM and their BlackBerry platform also dipped a point to 14% of the pie.
Read on through for additional bullet points and a few colorful graphs that also help to tell the story!
- Android had a strong growth month, and increased 15% month-over-month. Android had a 61% share of overall smartphone impressions and was in the top spot for the 8th straight month.
- Samsung grew 28% month-over-month as a manufacturer, and was the second leading manufacturer on our network.
- Motorola was the 5th leading manufacturer, and had 3 phones in the top 11 mobile phones.
- When breaking down ad spend from applications on our network, 48% came from Android apps, while 43% came from iOS apps.
- Devices with both a touchscreen and QWERTY keyboard grew 7% month-over-month and represented 16% of all impressions. This was tied to both the Motorola Droid and BlackBerry Torch.
- Gaming apps made up 34% of the ad spend for Android applications. On our network overall, gaming apps held a 29% share (which is a 35% increase month-over-month).