Instagram Android App Coming Soon, Confirmed by CEO

If you own an Android device, and are jealous of your iPhone buddies and their Instagram photos, then today is your lucky day. Instagram, an incredibly popular photo app on iOS, is officially coming to Android, as confirmed by the company’s CEO, Kevin Systrom. Now before you ask, there’s not a release date, or even a timeframe for when this might happen. Why? The quote below from Systrom explains it.

It’s hugely important to us, but we’re only six people. Android is a major priority for us, but first we have to build the team, and find the best people in the world to work on these projects. The company is currently hiring engineers and designers to help it move more quickly on all three of these aims.

So, they have to hire  a team to develop the Android app, which could take weeks, most likely months.  The CEO didn’t say when the app is expected to be completed, but he made reference to a web client as well, so users can check their Instagram photos as well as see what their friends are doing with their photos.

With that being said, who’s pumped about Instagram coming to Android? Who doesn’t like Instagram? Be sure to leave a comment below, and give us your two cents!

Source Techland

Justin Marden
Justin Marden 488 posts

I've been an Android fanboy since day one, but I've never had a chance to truly express my voice and be a part of the Android Community. When AndroidGuys starting accepting applications for interns, I saw my opportunity. I joined the AndroidGuys team and haven't looked back!

Rumor: Sprint Working with Walmart on WiMax Build Out

Here’s a rumor that we’d like to see play out if only for curiosity’s sake.  According a tipster of ours, Sprint has been working with an unusual partner on a

HTC Desire HD Randomly Appears on Amazon UK, Disappears Just as Fast

The HTC Desire HD has been all over the web. First, the leaked image, second the blurry cam video, and now finally an appearance on Amazon UK.  That’s right, Electric

Has Google Begun Cleaning the Android Market? Do You Care if They Are?

We mentioned in an article last week that an Android developer going by the name of For-side.com Co. Ltd had over 4,000 applications pulled from the Market.  It’s still unknown

1. benmarvin
    September 01, 02:14 Reply

Kevin said over a month ago they were working on the Android app. Not sure what’s taking them so long. Might end up being too little too late, or just in time to catch people jumping ship from iOS.

2. virna medina
    September 01, 05:13 Reply

snapbucket and lightbox also good alternative apps to the instagram

3. yeahhh
    September 01, 06:14 Reply

I use mytubo and streamzoo which is better than instagram

4. Paula Lay
    September 01, 09:21 Reply

Awesome. However, other alternatives I’ve found are Lightbox and Little photo (the latter with many more filters than Instagram).

5. frattonlad
    September 01, 17:48 Reply

Retro Camera does for me. How much do I need instagram? Not very is the short answer.

6. DJS
    September 01, 19:53 Reply

Do a seach, they’ve been saying this for a year. I doubt they’ve even started. These guys strike me as consummate Apple fanboys.

7. Bbejber
    September 02, 16:03 Reply

i want instagram NOW NOW NOW! hehje

8. William Taylor
    September 05, 19:44 Reply

ulooki is similar to instagram and is available now for immediate download! ulooki.com

9. Mango Fleurs
    September 09, 13:18 Reply

You can view the instagram photos of your friends for example by going to http://www.statigram.com and typing in their URL so in the meantime whilst you re waiting you can still keep up to date!!!

10. Queen Gibson23
    September 09, 17:38 Reply

The only thing I miss about my iPhone is instagram…if android gets instagram I will be really happy! Please make it happen!!

• Ravi J
      October 30, 19:54 Reply

Check out InstaPics in android market which has been developed using Instagram API and offers all basic features of Instagram on a android phone. Need Instagram acc to use this app

• Uce4me
        October 30, 21:44 Reply

Thanks but like all API-based Instaram apps so far, this is just a viewer. It doesn’t allow you to post your photos.

• Arlyrirao
        November 29, 02:27 Reply

I believe that app is YOUR app, correct Ravi? Yea well you’re being biased, it sucks, and tell us when it has more than 2 stars. Thanks.

11. Beva_69
    September 10, 18:41 Reply

Retro camera by urbian is really great.. Instawhat?

12. Tiki Nelson
    September 14, 11:25 Reply

How hard can it be?  Outsource it to India and the app will be online within 24 hours!

13. iPhone App Developer
    September 15, 12:31 Reply

has this android app been released or not? i want to download it for my android phone.

14. Kirstenhalewood
    September 15, 23:15 Reply

Thats good to hear! Currently donloaded Picplz on my Samsung GT – 15700 (Samsung Galaxy Portal) and it onlu uploads the photos to a Picplz site, and the photos aren’t even that brilliant! iPhone users get it all! Plus I’d like to see a screenshot app that doesn’t require phones to be rooted :)
    To conlude; bring it on!

• Adam Stewart
      September 16, 15:19 Reply

You can share you uploads to many different places on Picplz? Just connect your twitter, facebook, tumblr, dropbox, flickr etc accounts :)

• Adam Stewart
      September 16, 15:19 Reply

15. Adam Stewart
    September 16, 15:23 Reply

About time!! Though Picplz isn’t a bad alternative. Just the photo filters could be improved….

16. Dave
    September 18, 00:44 Reply

I felt like a loser today as all my mates with an iPhone was sharing images on instagram and I couldn’t.. FML.

17. stella742
    September 19, 03:28 Reply

i own instagram on my ipod and it doesnt really count, i want one like NOW

18. DjDanny32
    September 20, 15:36 Reply

There’s 101 instagram-style apps for Android. Lightbox and ulooki to name but 2. I really don’t see what the big deal is with instagram. It doesn’t sound like they’re gonna be doing the app any time soon, anyway, so just go find an alternative!
    Also, Android is a LOT easier to develop for. I’m a developer myself, and I’ve tried programming iPhone apps and it’s just a headache from start to finish. It’s not intuitive at all. Oh, and you need a Mac to do it on! And there’s so many hoops to jump through before you can publish your apps, it’s a nightmare.
    Programming for Android is a doddle. It’s all done in Java, which anybody can learn, and you can just publish your own app on the Market easily.

• Leaqt22
      October 09, 12:38 Reply

Thanks for the 2 recommendations. Will be dl’ing those asap! I happen to agree, android apps and programming are just better. I need to learn how to do the programming, I have some app ideas of my own! Thanks again!

• Robertwhite
      November 08, 19:20 Reply

yeah, but iphone apps are consistently of higher quality. The android marketplace is saturated with terribly useless, and poorly made, apps.

19. Mary Robinson
    September 24, 13:20 Reply

Vignette is the best Android app for photos – better than Lightbox, ulooki, PicPlz, Little Camera, etc. (every other app I’ve tried, basically) as far as I’m concerned because of how customizable you can make things (combining only specific elements from certain filters to make your own). That being said, I would be exciting for Instagram just because of how simple it is to share with friends.

• Ravi J
      October 30, 19:54 Reply

20. Ling
    September 26, 08:16 Reply

please make it !! Im crazy over Instagram !! :(( make it faster and soonner!!!!!

21. Mike Beck
    September 26, 08:20 Reply

I would love to see it on Android. What is the current best picture app for Android? I need a new one to upload to Twitter because my TwitPic has failed to work for months on my DROID X.

22. Stephiirvs
    September 28, 11:14 Reply

Vignette or Vignette Demo if you dont want to pay is miles better than instagram. You can choose how you want your picture to develop or you can just chuck it on ‘random’ and let the app decide.. makes for really artistic photos in an instant..

23. Pete Donahoo
    October 06, 10:44 Reply

what is it and why is it better than anything else?  seems kind of well over hyped due to it formally being an iphone app…

24. Emelie
    October 09, 07:53 Reply

”Instagram to Android”
    Made my day!

• Ravi J
      October 30, 19:55 Reply

25. Aaron Murin-Heath
    October 23, 07:38 Reply

I have a few decent photog apps on my Galaxy SII, but non have the savvy community of Instagram. They’ve been saying it’s coming for a while, I’ll believe it when I see it.

I usually grab my iPhone 4 before my SII to shoot, simply because I prefer Instagram.

26. Aanster
    October 23, 23:45 Reply

Problem is, in my country no one uses StreamZoo and everyone’s using Instagram here. Please make it happen… for android.

27. Ravi J
    October 30, 19:53 Reply

Check out InstaPics on android market which has been developed using Instagram API and offers all basic features of Instagram on a android phone, Need Instagram account to use this app

28. Maciek
    November 02, 19:55 Reply

i think the main problem might be that there is a bunch of different makes and models of android phones each one has different screen and camera, it would need a huge team of developers to deal with all that

29. ChloeeOliviaa
    November 05, 00:57 Reply

I have it on my ipod touch but my ipod is sorta broken and i really want it on my android phone, im so excited that androids are getting instagram. i love.it and nearly have 1000 followers! I hope it comes.out soon!

30. Amitos80
    November 18, 03:06 Reply

cant wait.. I switched to gs2 recently and the thing I miss most is instagtam

31. Hanlovesyouuu
    November 19, 12:23 Reply

I love Instagram! I guess you could call me an ig addict! Im getting a new Android phone soon and id love to see an instagram ap for it!

32. Jb
    November 20, 07:41 Reply

Picplz is much btr…

33. Isabel Russey
    November 20, 17:15 Reply

do you know the release date now? And if you don’t know, about how long will it be untill it comes out?

34. Phill
    November 22, 21:04 Reply

6 people! Wow. You are guys are doing great. That must be a Man:Audience ration of at least 1:1,000,000  – right?

35. Bb
    November 22, 21:22 Reply

Can yall make it already.

36. GBPerez
    November 27, 17:17 Reply

I REALLY REALLY want it…i had an iPhone then i switched and the first thing i look for was instagram…i would be so happy…if not i might switch back>

37. Stylize_me
    November 28, 09:19 Reply

one reason I didn’t change my iPhone to andriod is because of instagram. I really want instagram to be on andriod. please make it happen:))

38. Ferooooha
    November 29, 21:38 Reply

cant wait for the instagram for android !!!! please comeee noww !!! ): i am jealous of my friend that have iphones !!!

39. Melvinbanagan
    November 29, 23:47 Reply

android needs to have the screenshot already in the phone and instagram….and for emoticons to work……i would be a happy android user and not be jealous of my iphone friends anymore

40. Jim Cipriani
    December 05, 20:56 Reply

Camera ZOOM FX is a good app. Nothing’s Instagram tho.

41. Asled
    December 06, 01:24 Reply

instagram for iphone only !!!!

42. Magickmystik
    December 08, 04:41 Reply

NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
    what so freaking hard to make one
    HIRE 60 PEOPLES instead of 6

43. Courtneeey
    January 16, 06:50 Reply

I have instgram on my iPod and I use so often so it’s kind of frustrating not being able to use it when I’m out. Thank god it’s coming to android. Two words HURRY UP.

44. LadyStella
    January 18, 00:23 Reply

Instagram is great, I miss that about my Iphone, I have since upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy and its great but really needs Instagram – Hurry up!

45. Geejd1
    February 18, 21:03 Reply

Cant wait for android version….wife has I phone..i have droid

46. Sudeshna Hamal
    February 28, 10:31 Reply

I want instagram asap but as of now i’m using one man with camera, picplz and littlephoto

47. Eherrera0811
    March 01, 20:01 Reply

OMG I CAN NOT WAIT
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48. Athenae22
    March 02, 12:40 Reply

Its weird that more people have android phones then iphones. But android don’t get those popular social sharing apps that iphone has. It sucks that androids get it Last they should make it for both phones at the same time.

49. Darlingplyb
    March 18, 16:34 Reply

Thats not funny anymore. im sooooooooo mad a instagram coz is taking too long. they are soo lazy, they should hurry up. they dont care about people waiting. :( i need instagram soo bad:( im 32 years old and i feel like a kid waiting for the new toy. buaaaa hurrryyyy up Instagram