Verizon just pinged our inbox to advise that the carrier is officially rolling out Android 2.3 updates to both the DROID Pro and DROID 2 Global. If you own one of these two models and want to manually grab the update, navigate to Settings > About Phone > System Updates on your phone.
Each update offers additional benefits that vary depending on the handset, but largely include the following.
- Download Manager App: New App to manage all of your downloads from web browsing, email attachments and other apps.
- App and Power Management Details: Under Manage Applications, a new “Running” tab displays a list of active applications and the storage and memory being used by each.
- Multi-Touch Key-Chording: New ability to enter numbers and symbols with keyboard shortcut combos, instead of having to change to the numeric keyboard mode.
- Improved Word Selection and Copy Functionality: New capability to select a word via press-hold. A second press of the selected word copies the selected characters.
- New User Interface and Color Scheme: New widgets, icons and screens with refreshed colors.
- Dock Icons: Static Phone, App Launcher and Contacts icons are replaced within a customizable dock. Three swappable icons and the App Launcher icon are fixed to the dock at the bottom of all home screen panels for easy and instant access.
- App Groups: New App Menu allows creation of custom app groups, in addition to 3 default groups: All Apps, Recent and Downloaded.