January 27, 2015

Amazon pulling fast one, Kindle Fire hides competing ebook apps

Amazon

It appears that Amazon’s Kindle Fire isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Nate from The Digital Reader discovered that the Fire blocks competing ebook apps, such as those from Aldiko and Kobo. Since the device uses Amazon’s App Store to download apps, these ebook apps should be available for the Fire, right? Wrong. Turns out Amazon has locked these apps out of the Kindle Fire.

According to BlueFire, who makes an ebook Android app, they received word from Amazon that their app was compatible with the Kindle Fire. And yet, it’s not available for download from the device. I can confirm that Aldiko’s apps are available on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Looks like Amazon is more sly than we thought. By keeping their competitors away from their device, they make more revenue from people that are forced to use their services on the Kindle Fire. Well played, Amazon. Well played.

What are your thoughts on this latest development? Is Amazon justified in doing this? Sound off in the comments!

Source: The Digital Reader

Order a Kindle Fire from Amazon.com

1. Michael Sheils

Not surprised in the slightest, still if you want aldiko or anything else all you have to do is sideload the apk.

2. Jake

Out of curiosity, does the Barnes and Noble Nook store include the Kindle or Google Books apps?

3. Anonymous

Yeah, sure it’s fair. You’re getting the Amazon reader, cheap. What do you expect? If you really care enough you’ll root it and/or sideload the apps.

4. Anonymous

I think it’s fair. Part of the beauty of Android being open-ish source is that manufacturers can use it as they see fit, not only how Google sees fit. Amazon isn’t selling it as an Android device as much as a Kindle device, so I don’t think it’s misleading.

If they went out of their way to lock it down, then I wouldn’t consider
    it for myself, my family, nor my clients … but I don’t think that’s
    the case. Let the builders configure it how they like and sell it; let the owners configure it how they like once they pay for it.

5. Anonymous

I would never support Amazon, I would rather buy a tablet with the Android market to support those who put in the effort to make the software… Ofcourse I could use the market anyway, but I just don’t like Amazon’s model.

6. Charles Richardson

As another comment noted, they are selling Kindles, not tablets. And one of the reasons it’s cheap is that they are making money from content. That seems like a fair trade to me. I have one, for $200 it’s just fine, and does what I thought it would do: give me access to Amazon’s content, and do a couple of other things.

7. Anonymous

I’ve noticed that you also can’t visit the Android market web page. That should not happen. You should be able to visit whatever legal site you want on the web. Don’t like that they police that particular web address. Even Apple doesn’t block the website on their pads. Its pretty outrageous actually. What next? Blocking you from any website they deem a threat?? Still like this thing though.

8. Guest

And you are surprised??? Amazon’s primary goal is to make money and to maximize the chance restricting apps is an easy call. Buy a “real” tablet if you want all the apps, not a Amazon or other closed tablets.

9. Pksteph

I’ve loaded books on it from other sources by uploading them from my computer to the kindle’s storage.  They show up under documents.

POST A COMMENT.