Android Web Market now recognizes those rooted devices of yours

Android Web Market now recognizes those rooted devices of yours

Up until recently, users who have rooted devices such as the Kindle Fire or Nook Color have been unable to take advantage of the Android Web Market’s ability to push apps. This was due to the fact that the Android Web Market would not recognize any device that didn’t originally ship with the Android Market. Well, Google has changed all that with a recent update, and we couldn’t be happier. If you’ve gone ahead and put the Android Market on one of your Androidstein creations, you will now see it listed under your devices in the Android Web Market. That means you can now download apps via the web and have them pushed to your device.

Of course, as with any attempt to make your device more Android, it does not comes without its issues. There appears to be issues with the Android Web Market wanting to update apps that you have installed previously via other sources. The update fails and you have one of two options: Simply re-install the app (which is fine if the app was free) or deal with the constant notifications to update your app. It’s really great to see Google doing its best to support users who wish to use their devices as they see fit, and not the other way around, like most companies. Of course this will only work if you have already rooted your device and installed the Android Market app onto it. Congratulations, you are now one step closer to having your cake and eating it too.

Source: liliputing

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4626 posts

5.7-inch ZTE P945 tipped for late Q1

ZTE will soon announce a 5.7-inch P945 smartphone, according to new details scooped up by Unwired View. Details for the handset reportedly include a 1.2GHz quad-core processor, a 720p resolution display, an

Motorola Droid RAZR Specs Said to be Faster Than the iPhone 4S

Motorola ready to surpass the new iPhone benchmark with new handset.

Android Helps AT&T to “Strong Gains” in Second Quarter

AT&T just helped themselves to a pretty nice second quarter, thanks, in part, to a growing Android lineup. How nice? Well, Ma Bell is reporting quarterly (Q2’11) revenue of $31.5

1. drdrewdown
    November 26, 02:30 Reply

use Titanium Backup (Donate) to “detach from market” for any application you want. On the flipside you can also “Attach to market”

2. Anonymous
    November 26, 03:12 Reply

This is good news. Anyone who knows if it works on Android x86?

3. Anonymous
    November 26, 03:55 Reply

It is an interesting thing that Google won’t allow their proprietary apps unless you hack them on, and then they bend over backwards them make them work right.

• Anonymous
      November 26, 11:02 Reply

Manufacturers who WANT their devices to be shipped with the Android Market on it only need to contact Google to ensure they comply with the Android compatibility program. Achieving compatibility is a prerequisite for obtaining access to the Android Market software and branding and is extremely simple. These manufactures choose NOT to have the Android Market.
      Thankfully Android is open source and any one of us can use it to build any kind of device or put the Android Market on it. ONLY manufacturers wishing to use the Android name with their product, or who want access to the Android Market, must first demonstrate that the device is compatible.

4. Anonymous
    November 26, 04:31 Reply

I rooted my Nexus S 4G phone immediately after I bought it on 06/17/2011. I’ve been able to use the web-based marketplace on my laptop to push apps to my rooted phone since that date. The Dell Streak 5 I had through AT&T before my Nexus S 4G had DJ_Steve’s Android build installed which of course means my phone was rooted. Prior to 06/17/2011 I was able to use my laptop to push apps from the web marketplace to my rooted Dell Streak 5 phone as well.

• Anonymous
      November 26, 10:46 Reply

I was referring to devices “that didn’t originally ship with the Android Market.”

5. Luis Fernando Franco
    November 26, 11:22 Reply

What are you talking about?

I’ve been using pushed apps in a Nook Color several months now. I think it was when I instled CM7 nighlty 90 or something like that.

6. Rocktoonz
    November 26, 12:58 Reply

Also been using it with CM7 on my DInc since it came out.