Carrier IQ issues 19 page document detailing usage
Carrier IQ released a new 19-page PDF document on their website this week which details all the stuff that they do as well as the stuff that they don’t do. Staying clear of naming any specific wireless provider, the file does tell us that the intention of Carrier IQ has always been to ‘better understand how mobile devices interact with and perform on their network’. If you are interested in hearing what Carrier IQ is, how it’s integrated into handsets, what it collects, and why it collects certain data, then this is as “from the horse’s mouth” as it gets.
The document outlines the following:
- Details of the Carrier IQ solution and how it is deployed
- How the Carrier IQ software – “IQ Agent”- is loaded on mobile devices
- What information is available to Mobile Network Operators from devices
- How data from mobile devices may be used by Carrier IQ’s customers
- How consumer data is protected through this process
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again… Give the simple option of letting users opt out and much of the noise around Carrier IQ goes away. We understand the value that they might provide and how carriers can benefit, but even the very idea of an opt-out goes a long way.