It would appear the only thing that delayed Ice Cream Sandwich from rolling out to you Nexus S owners was Verizon. Now, just a day after Verizon released the Galaxy Nexus, we get official word from Google that Ice Cream Sandwich will begin rolling out to GSM Nexus S devices starting today. Hallelujah!
You may not see the update right away, as the roll-out is scheduled to last over the next month or so — but if you happen to have a GSM T-Mobile Nexus S — here are some instructions on how to manually update your device:
[Do not try this on CDMA Nexus S]
- Go ahead and get the OTA package
- Rename it to update.zip
- Copy it to the root of your internal storage on your Nexus S.
- Power off your device. Then hold volume up and power to reboot to the bootloader.
- Select recovery using the volume keys, then press the power button.
- once you see a warning triangle and arrow, hold the power button and press volume up.
- Select “apply update from /sdcard,” and choose update.zip
- Once it’s done doing its thing, simply select “reboot system now” and Voila!
Welcome to the Ice Cream Sandwich of the month club! We’ll let you know when it becomes available for you CDMA users, so just sit tight. Enjoy!