It’s a new year which means it’s also a new month time for some new app statistics. Google has released a fresh set of platform versions for all developers and interested parties to see, giving us an idea as to how updates are going. These are also an official indicator as to which editions of Android are growing and which seem to be dying a slow death. Check out the figures below and see where things are as of January 3, 2012.
With CES breathing down our neck we expect to see a number of 4.0 devices announced and rolled out over the next few weeks. Factoring in a number of promised updates, we should see Ice Cream Sandwich grabbing a much bigger piece of the pie in no time at all.
Fun fact: Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) now has the same market share as Cupcake (1.5)!
- Android 1.5 (Cupcake) – 0.6%
- Android 1.6 (Donut) – 1.1%
- Android 2.1 (Eclair) – 8.5%
- Android 2.2 (Froyo) – 30.4%
- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) – 55.5%
- Android 3.X (Honeycomb) – 3.3%
- Android 4.0X (Ice Cream Sandwich) – 0.6%
Data collected during a 14-day period ending on January 3, 2012