If you’re looking for a good company to look to who has done a fantastic job of adapting to changing technologies, Cobra Electronics would be a good one. Mostly known for their radar detectors, the company has made a focus of integration between various mobile technologies and their own products. This coming CES is looking to be no exception, as the company has announced that they’re going to be revealing some nifty new stuff at the trade show, including iRadar, a cloud-based community warning system for speed traps and the like for all you speed demons. They’re also introducing Cobra Tag G5, which is a Bluetooth connected fob that you put in your purse or attach to your keys or other valuables; the fob is then paired to your smartphone. It’s designed to keep you from from forgetting or losing whatever item the fob is connected to by alerting you via the smartphone when you get to far away from the item. It’s a really clever idea and sounds like a must-have for any bar crawlers that have a penchant for losing belongings.
Last and not least, Cobra has thrown in an Android-exclusive system called JoyRide. JoyRide recognizes when you’re entering the car and, via the downloadable Android app, automatically optimizes the phone for driving. It basically gives you one-button access to things you’d normally use in-car, such as calling, music, and navigation and the like, but also gives you a quick button option for reporting road hazards and police traps. It seems like a handy idea and a clever way of tying in their iRadar system.
Check out the presser below and let us know in the comments what you think about Cobra’s latest products.
Cobra Electronics Kicks Off Another Year of Excitement and Innovation in Automotive, Mobile and Consumer Electronics at 2012 International CES Show
With Three 2012 CEA Design and Engineering Innovation Awards Already In-Hand, Cobra Dazzles CES Attendees With New Products and Aggressive Promotional Plans
CHICAGO, IL–(Marketwire – Jan 6, 2012) – Cobra Electronics Corporation (NASDAQ: COBR), a leading designer and marketer of award-winning automotive, mobile and consumer electronics, today announced the highlights of its new product introductions and bold marketing and publicity plans for the 2012 International CES show taking place next week at the Las Vegas Convention Center. The 2012 International CES event runs January 10-13, 2012 and is expected to draw an audience of more than 140,000 consumer electronics industry representatives from around the world.
Where to Find Us at CES
Once again in 2012, Cobra will staff two full-time booth locations in the convention center as follows:
Main Booth #9839, in the Central Hall of the Las Vegas Convention Center
Booth #4435, North Hall, iLounge Pavilion
Press Event Schedule/Locations
Cobra is pleased to announce it will participate in two of the year’s most prestigious press events at CES 2012, informing journalists from around the world about the company’s plans and product direction:
- CES Unveiled, the official press event of the International CES, Sunday, January 8, 2012, 4:00p.m. – 7:00p.m., The Venetian, Venetian Ballroom D
- Showstoppers @ CES 2012, Tuesday, January 10, 2012, 6:00p.m. – 10:00 p.m., The Wynn Hotel, Lafite Ballroom
New Cobra Products for 2012
Cobra will be on-hand throughout CES with its entire lineup of innovative yet affordable automotive, mobile and consumer electronics products, including:
Cobra Vedetta™ – Maximum Performance Radar/Laser Detector Line
- The Cobra Vedetta is a Maximum Performance Radar/Laser Detector with 2.4-inch TFT Color LCD display. The product utilizes 2.4″ TFT color display on a multi-axis hinge and a ball-socket suction cup mounting bracket, which allows the driver to mount the detector virtually anywhere on the windshield or dash. Mounting the detector in the center of the windshield/dash has historically been critical for performance but is not necessarily ideal for driver visibility or concealment. In addition to setting a new benchmark among detection units for form factor and driver ergonomics, the Cobra Vedetta line includes models that offer an integrated GPS receiver and access to Cobra’s national database of AURA™ speed/red-light cameras and known speed traps. Vedetta delivers performance and range that exceeds Cobra’s XRS Maximum Performance Series by 30 percent, along with a host of innovative new features including: speed-sensitive muting system, Voice Alert for band-specific annunciation of the radar/laser gun being detected, SmartPower for automatic power on/off, POP Mode Radar Gun for maximum warning time, Signal Strength Meter, 8-Point GPS Compass, and User-selectable Speed Alerts.
2012 Two-Way Radio Lineup
- Cobra’s two-way radio product family for 2012 includes two exciting and powerful new models, the CXT135 and the CXT235. These highly affordable radios include advanced NOAA Weather Radio and All Hazards Alert — features previously available only on expensive, high-end radio models.
- The 2012 lineup also includes the CXT425, CXR725, CXR825 and CXR925 models, featuring maximum performance and range of up to 35 miles, Rewind-Say-Again™, rechargeable high-performance LiON batteries, desktop chargers, and much more.
2012 CES Innovations Award-Winning Products
The company will also preview for CES attendees the following products, which were recently recognized as 2012 CES Innovations Award Honorees:
Cobra iRadar™ Community
The Cobra iRadar Detection System was the industry’s first product to combine industry-leading radar/laser/camera detection technology with the power of your smartphone. The second generation of iRadar takes detection to the cloud. The Cobra iRadar Community allows users to report and warn other users of live police, caution areas, and photo enforcement areas in real-time. In addition, when an iRadar unit detects a safety alert or caution it can automatically share this information with other iRadar Community users nearby.
Cobra Tag™ G5
Misplacing smartphones, keys, laptops and other essentials is inevitable. The new Cobra Tag G5 is a small, sleek key fob device with a free companion smartphone app. It uses Bluetooth® wireless technology and a separation alarm to link your personal belongings to your smartphone — ensuring you never leave your valuables behind. The Cobra Tag G5 is a Bluetooth Smart device, leveraging the new Bluetoothv4.0 Low-Energy (BLE) standard for extended battery life of six months or more when paired to a Bluetooth Smart Ready mobile phone.
The Cobra JoyRide for Android™ evolves the way your smartphone interacts when you enter and exit your vehicle by automatically reconfiguring the phone for in-car usage. The companion Android app communicates with Cobra’s charging accessory and opens up a whole new world of possibilities for personalizing how your Android smartphone operates in the car. Pushing a single button can initiate phone calls, launch voice commands, share information about road hazards and live police, pause and play music, and even launch GPS navigation apps or other favorite in-car applications.
About Cobra Electronics:
Cobra Electronics is a leading global designer and marketer of communication and navigation products, with a track record of delivering innovative and award-winning products. Building upon its leadership position in the GMRS/FRS two-way radio, radar detector and Citizens Band radio industries, Cobra identified new growth opportunities and has aggressively expanded into the marine market and has expanded its European operations. The Consumer Electronics Association, Forbes and Deloitte & Touche have all recognized Cobra for the company’s innovation and industry leadership. To learn more about Cobra Electronics, please visit the Cobra site at www.cobra.com. Follow Cobra on Twitter at www.twitter.com/CobraElectronic and Like Us at www.facebook.com/CobraElectronics.