AT&T to Sweeten Data Plans on January 22nd

AT&T to Sweeten Data Plans on January 22nd

AT&T is starting to shake things up a bit on the Tiered Data Plan spectrum.  Announcing new packages starting January 22nd, they hope to compete with Verizon while Big Red doubles the data.

In a few days the $15 per month 200MB data plan will be bumped up to $20 and deliver 300MB. (Overage of $20 for an additional 300MB). The $25 per month 2GB plan will be taken by the new $30 per month 3GB (Overage $10/GB). The old ceiling of 4GB at $45 a month will be raised to 5GB for only $5 more (Overage $10/GB).

AT&T Mobile Broadband plans for tablets also get a similar facelift, with options including $14.99 for 250MB per month, $25 for 2GB per month and $35 for 3GB. However, you business type folks with enterprise plans are going to get an extra GB for $5 more per month.

Sounds cool to me, especially if you’re already stuck with AT&T and no option for an unlimited data plan of any sort, this is at least a step in the right direction.

What do you guys think? Anyone use more than their old ceiling of 4GB but less than 5? Anyone still not satisfied with these new limits? Sound off in the comments below.

Tony McAfee
Tony McAfee 69 posts

A lover of all things technological since he was young, Tony McAfee is now the Director of Customer Service for Swappa.com and loves to stay up to date with the latest technology. Usually teetering between leading and bleeding-edge.

Verizon security report reveals great deal about flaws

Verizon has released its 2015 data breach investigation report today, and not surprisingly they cited that while cyber attacks are becoming increasingly sophisticated, the main methods of attack by criminals

Verizon Taps Global-Ready Droid Incredible 2 for April 28 Arrival

Verizon has officially announced the follow up to last year’s Droid Incredible in the new, wait for it, Droid Incredible 2.  Dropping later this week on April 28th, the HTC

Verizon announces 10.1-inch and 8.2-inch DROID XYBOARD tablets

Customers will have two sizes and multiple storage options to choose from later this month.

1. Anonymous
    January 19, 11:57 Reply

“Sweeten data plans”

Anthony, are you fucking stupid or just plain thick?AT&T has decided to charge everyone an extra $5 per month and morons like you think this is a sweet deal.Do you think $5 ($15 to $20 bump) equates to the additional 100MB data?

Think a little harder (or get a 5-year old kid to do it) before you write another headline and pick sides.

• Richard Parker
      January 19, 12:48 Reply

I agree in PART to what you say, but it DOES give you more DATA.  Remember that plans and changes to accounts are in DIRECT response to customer feedback.  So ATT is giving users what THEY want.

Does the $5.00 give MORE data yes, is it worth it, maybe.  SOME people that use data may WANT the extra data, but it doesn’t mean *YOU* need to switch to the larger plan.. they won’t force it on you, you will have to pay more if you do switch, but think of it another way.  If you have a 2GB plan ($25.00) NOW and you go over, that’s $10.00 for EACH GB you go over.

Now if they give you a 3GB plan that’s $30.00 or + $5.00 more not $10.00, so that is a “sweet” deal you get more for half of what it was before.. remember that these plans for for EVERYONE not just you, so don’t get your panties in a wad.. if you WANT to switch, great.  If don’t, then what’s the problem if OTHER people like it?

• Anthony McAfee
      January 20, 01:42 Reply

Excuse me, an extra $5 a month for another GB is sweet to me. Also, for a company so behind in the data game, any increase in data offerings is sweet. The deal will be SWEET to any hardcore data users on AT&T. If they’re on AT&T and don’t think it’s sweet, they’ll be grandfathered in on their current data plans for as long as they want. They’re not forcing anyone to pay more. Fact is, there’s a data plan out there for everyone on some network or another. Please don’t comment profanity on my articles because you don’t like the name, the information is correct, if it upsets you… well, if it upsets you, then you must lead a sad life,
      and for that, sir, I’m sorry.

2. Anonymous
    January 20, 18:28 Reply

When I got my first phone from AT&T $30 extra per month to get a smartphone was too much so I didn’t get one.  When they removed the unlimited plan I was disappointed as I knew I’d missed my chance to get it, but the positive side was I got a Samsung Captivate for an extra $15 per month for the basic data plan.  I wasn’t sure if 200MB would be enough but as I work from home I’m usually near a wireless network so I’ve never even gotten close to the limit so I’ll be keeping the this plan.

For a customer who gets a low end smartphone and isn’t going to use much data the cost of getting an AT&T phone is going up by $120 over the course of the 2 year contract because they’ll now have to pay for extra data whether they need it or not.

It would be nice if they could offer more options to give all customers a better chance of finding the right plan…and maybe family data plans and rollover data while they’re at it :)

3. Anonymous
    January 20, 18:28 Reply

4. Anonymous
    January 20, 18:28 Reply

5. jules
    January 23, 11:46 Reply

still shit, cant wait to get out of at&t