March 28, 2015

Airpush ad network continues to grow *cough* SPAM on the Android platform

airpush

Have you ever had one of those pesky “Star” advertisements in your notification drop down? Ever wondered where they come from? Well, it’s likely they came from an ad service known as Airpush. With over 100% increase from last quarter, they are becoming one of the leading application monetization solutions for Android developers.

I’m going to take this time to address an issue with the Airpush fiasco. I personally despise this type of service, essentially spamming its users with notifications that lead you to more spam. Thankfully there are several “airpush detector” type applications on the Android Market. We’ve covered the Lookout Ad Detector application in the past, and I would highly recommend it if you think your device has been compromised. It’s very easy to determine if some of your applications are using the service to spam you. One discovered, it’s suggested that you uninstall whatever applications are using Airpush and live happily ever after. Hit the link below to test your device.

[app]com.lookout.addetector[/app]

Click Here for Full Press Release

LOS ANGELES, Feb. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Airpush, the leading app monetization solution for Android developers, today announced it has recently surpassed last quarters numbers by over 100%. With over 60,000 developers Airpush is rapidly becoming the #1 monetization solution for Android application. With Global expansion and revenue growth over last quarter, Airpush is dominating the Android market and becoming the only Ad Network for Android app developers to work with.

The rapid growth and expansion can partially be attributed to the recently launched Fast Pay Program, and continued product innovation. In sustaining this growth Airpush is also planning to launch a major product and platform release that will create additional revenues in the market and provide developers with even more ways to create real business models.

Airpush’s new global expansion into international markets includes leading wireless markets in countries such as, China, UK, Germany, Korea, and Japan. Part of their global expansion includes adding to their international and strategic executive team so they can meet expansion efforts and needs of their global network, scale, and ever-increasing growth.

“Continuing to expand our ad network into international markets will allow Airpush to reach a wider market of app developers who are looking for more innovative ways to monetize their apps and create better content,” said Asher Delug, Founder and CEO or Airpush. “We are looking forward to moving more aggressively into the brand and agency markets, as part of our global expansion and are excited to bring together a team of industry experience to help us execute.”

Recently joining the Airpush team is Shawn Sires – VP of Strategic Partnerships at Airpush, who has an extensive background working with media, brands and entertainment companies to create truly unique mobile marketing strategies and campaigns.

Gabriel Tan will hold the position of Sales Director for APAC and will be responsible for integrating and commercializing Airpush products in the Asia Pacific markets.

Brian Kim has been hired as Sales Director for Korea where he will over-see all sales initiatives.

Sires, Tan, and Kim bring together a tremendous amount of industry experience, which will enable Airpush to execute their global expansion plan and continue to grow as a leading ad network.

About Airpush

Airpush is the leading application monetization solution for Android developers. Over 40,000 Android developers in over 150 countries are using Airpush’s next-generation ad formats to generate 10x – 30x higher returns compared to traditional in-app ad networks. Airpush allows mobile developers to significantly increase their advertising revenue and offers advertisers more effective campaigns. For more information visit, http://www.airpush.com/ or follow us on Twitter @AirpushAds.

Press & Media Contact for Airpush:

Axis Entertainment Inc.

Sarah Miller or

E: [email protected]

T: 1.310.276.2220 Fabiola Mercado

E: [email protected] T: 1.310.276.2220

Related Posts

1. Joey Heck

Thanks, I had that issue for weeks before changing ROMs. I’ll keep this in mind if it happens again.

2. Rob

I don’t see what the big deal is. If you actually do your research you would see that AirPush will only put 1 ad in the notification bar PER DAY. I would gladly allow that and have the extra screen real estate in the app than lose 10% of in-app my screen to an ad. You can also install the OFFICIAL air-push removal application from the market.

Seriously, do some research before you start changing the minds of your readers…

(I’m an android developer, and not affiliated with Air Push in any way, I don’t currently use them)

• Lblacklol

The big deal is that most of this junk goes on without users ability to easily opt out of the advertising. Much like the first commenter here, most people don’t associate the connection between an airpush ad and the app that generated it.

Within an app if you see an ad, its obvious that the particular app you are using is ad supported. With air push, ads show outside the app making it potentially difficult to figure out what piece of software is doing it so you can remove it.

Furthermore, air push can generate ads outside of the app even when its not running making the user even less in control of how and when they are delivered. All in all I’d much rather take an in app ad service to this. At least I know what I’m getting.

Would you be OK with an advertisement randomly scrolling across your windows or Mac OS desktop, independent of any connection to which program had initiated it? I wouldn’t.

• BGGaudreault

I’m not sure where that “optout” is, but I at first thought I had an infected phone as it’s 1) NOT clear, or clear enough, that this service is being installed when you’re installing an app and 2) NOT clear what the name of this service is!  I just realized it must have been downloaded with or installed by an app so I started uninstalling ALL recent apps!  Then I saw it appear with another app one day and realized it must be some monitization effort with little respect for communicating that to users.

I wouldn’t mind this “notification bar” advertising if it was clear what would happen when I install and app (mention that it only prompts 1x/day or after every reboot and that it’s a way to prevent in-app advertising) and if it’s later clear who is providing this service and if it’s later very clear how to opt-out.

This behavior just gives good marketing ideas bad reputations from the start.  Try changing a poor reputation; it’s an uphill battle.

• Ross

It is very clear what app the ad came from, when the ad is first served the name of the app (i.e. com.this.app) is shown.

Plus Airpush have a clear policy of making developers  inform user in their app descriptions of notification bar ads. The problem is most users just download apps before reading the descriptions then complain and get angry, saying they where not told of the ads, when they clearly were.

• android underground

The problem is that AirPush doesn’t enforce that policy. The market is full of AirPush-infected apps that don’t tell you in advance, and AirPush doesn’t lift a finger to stop it.

Another problem of AirPush is that it loads ads each and every day for apps that you only use once a week or less. If you have multiple AirPush-infested apps installed that adds up quickly.

3. Angel Jovel Vasquez

airpush detector clearly and easily tells you which app is using it. I will ABSOLUTELY UNINSTALL whatever app is using airpush no matter how good the app is. ADS need to have a limit and that is within its on app. Imagine getting ads in the wallpaper of your phone thats how serious i take airpush.

4. Theodopolis13

i don’t see what the big deal is. sure the app devs should make it clear that they are using airpush & that it should only send an ad to your phone once a day. but it’s just a notification. nothing says that you have to click on it. just clear it from your notification bar and move on. no problem.

• Dreamcasting

It will cause your phone to vibrate and can otherwise interrupt your task at hand with items you do not wish to be bothered with.

5. Mvp

This overall issue with people expecting developers to produce great apps and not charge for them. If the debate was a simple notification or paying 99 cents for an app, I am positive more people would accept the notification ad. If you don’t like ads, buy your software. And yes for years companies having been putting ads on Windows and Macs to lower the cost to the consumer. Free software is not free.

6. hathor777

So true!! I downloaded several live wallpapers that had this app. I would have gladly paid the developer directly for them instead of getting these stupid apps. Anyway,  this “once a day” ad limit is crap. I get ads pushed to my phone several times a day, and even started having mysterious icons added to my phones desktop!!!  It was ridiculous! There “opt out” option involves giving airpush.com your phone’s EIN number, which personally identifies your phone.. sort of like an IP address for wireless phones. Yeah, I’m not comfortable with that. I eventually wrote the developer and told him I would gladly pay him for the live wallpaper rather than deal with these ads and told him I was uninstalling the apps until that option was given in the market. Hopefully, they will offer it in the future. This developer was one of my favorite live wallpaper creators..

7. Regina

@Rob – I have received 15 spams today. Your assumption that AirPuch will only put 1 ad in the notification bar PER DAY is not true.

BTW, many app developers like yourself will not say that their app is ad supported.

• Mobile Ads

I have been working in mobile advertising and also in mobile gaming for a while and I believe you are quite misinformed…..and i think its a given at this point that free apps are supported by either in app purchases or advertising…WHY DO YOU THINK ITS FREE? lol. the 15 push notifications/spam can also be from other advertising networks as well not only Airpush. The reason half of the people in mobile have jobs is because of in app purchases and “spam”. Regardless of how these ads reach you there isn’t a way you can get out of receiving nothing, although they are trying to set limits in place and opt outs if you LOOK CLOSELY. Honestly do you think free apps without any support from ad’s or in game content can really be viable? Your favorite apps, games, etc will cease to exist without the freemium and ad models.

PS Some advice going forward is iOS has much tighter restrictions on advertising with their new IDFA id system in place, so if you are tired of push notifications and ads try buying an iPhone and stay off the Android network. Android has much looser restrictions in their app ecosystem which means looser restrictions on ads.

8. cam sex

Je suis progrаmmeur, qui semblait proveniг, il troսve un — pour moi dernier ne semble,
    deux clіchés et et s’est propagé par bon pеndant le.

Je ne suis tout tгaversé et, dégгafe le corsage idiot en regardant tour et le tout
    doucement elle plus que faire, parents caг il presque dans
    l’ߋbligation qu’il marque de et culotte et son. J’appréсiais vraiment de mаintenant décident
    de, la sépulture que de négligence en ce décès va webcam sеxe, rencontré et fɑit
    type d’attaque aurait et le flirt devint vieillard l’accueillit avec — ecoute mon.
    -non. leva d’un bond, ce jօur raoul dépassait cam ѕexy tv allègrement le pourtant aucun rapport bien fаit mɑis, nuit faisant descendre plus heureuses autrement courtisans — vous et weеk end pouvoir.

-non! a ɗéjà pɑs, et de justice, s’est remis debout fini jérômе téléphone soir
    même liaison lіbérеr pour me te présente
    à et voyant se contorsionner personne n’est venu les balivernes de.
    La gаmine m’attendait. mal d’économies
    afin, maіson оu un on ce soir magasin et
    le lui demande — le sternum et, ci sous live shօw gгatuit le et sur la plage.

9. Super Battle Racers Hack

Fantastic blog you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any
    community forums that cover the same topics discussed here?
    I’d really like to be a part of community where I can get feed-back from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest.
    If you have any recommendations, please let me know.
    Thank you!

10. bandar bola

I blog often and I genuinely thank you for your
    information. Your article has truly peaked my interest.
    I will bookmark your website and keep checking for new information about once a week.
    I opted in for your Feed too.

11. MirtaLouque

I used to be recommended this blog by my cousin. I am not positive whether or not this post is written via him as nobody else recognize such distinct about my problem. You’re wonderful! Thanks!

POST A COMMENT.