Sony SmartWatch now available for U.S. consumers
Sony just dropped us a line to let us know that their Android-connected SmartWatch is now available for U.S. consumers. Available at your Sony stores and through the company’s website, the watch with a 1.3-inch OLED touchscreen retails for $149.99 and comes with a black rubber wristband. Should you want another color, Sony has five additional options to pick from.
The SmartWatch connects to Android 2.1+ devices via Bluetooth and is charged through a USB port. Acting as an extension to your Android smartphone experience, the watch notifies the wearer of texts, calls, social network updates, and incoming calls. Additionally, the user can control music, snap photos remotely, and more, all from their watch. The SmartWatch works with a number of existing apps and Sony gives developers the ability to create titles optimized for the device.
Here’s a quick rundown of features for the Sony SmartWatch:
Store your Smartphone: SmartWatch from Sony Brings Android Power Straight to Wrist
Innovative Android™ accessory from Sony allows you to stay connected when your phone is stowed in your pocket or bag
- Read social updates, text messages and email
- Manage calls with a simple touch and swipe
- Personalize with apps downloaded from Google Play
- Control music on your smartphone
- Snap pictures with your Android phone from a distance
April 12, 2012, Atlanta, GA –Sony Mobile Communications announces the availability of its new SmartWatch, a wearable device that extends the power of Android smartphones by sending timely and personal information from your smartphone straight to your wrist. A vibration and screen alert notifies you of key events, like an incoming call. It also allows you to read texts and emails as well as receive Facebook™ and Twitter™ updates – all from your wrist.
SmartWatch from Sony connects to Android smartphones via Bluetooth™ giving you the ability to control key functions without removing your smartphone from your pocket or bag. With just a tap, touch, and swipe, SmartWatch turns from a watch displaying the time to a remote information center for your Android smartphone.
A growing number of apps are available for download through Google Play – including those for social updates, workouts and music – all customized for the 1.3-inch OLED SmartWatch touch screen. While SmartWatch works with these existing apps, Android developers can create apps specifically for the device. SmartWatch works with most Android (2.1 and above) smartphones.
“SmartWatch is the first of many Smart Extras that seamlessly connect and expand the smartphone’s reach and user experience,” said Paul Hamnett, President and Head of Customer Unit, North America, Sony Mobile Communications. “Designed to break free from the single screen experience, SmartWatch provides access to live content and entertainment on the go.”
The durable SmartWatch is dust proof and splash proof and comes with a black rubber wristband included in the box. Wristbands in five additional colors are available for purchase. SmartWatch’s design includes a rear mounted clip, so it can be removed from the wristband and attached to clothing or a belt.
At launch, SmartWatch has a suggested retail price of $149.99 and will be available at http://www.sony.com/smartwatch
SmartWatch is part of Sony Mobile Communications’ strategy to create Smart Extras that make Android smartphones smarter.
Key Features of Sony Xperia™ SmartWatch:
- Dimensions: 1.42 X 1.42 X 0.3 in
- Weight: 0.55 oz
- Display: 1.3” OLED display, 128 x 128 pixels
- Compatibility: Bluetooth™ 3.0 and Android™ 2.1 or above
- Connectivity: Standard USB charging
- Battery life: Up to 4 days
- Language support for: English, Spanish, French, Chinese (Traditional), Portuguese, Swedish, Russian, Danish, Polish, Japanese, Czech, German, Modern Greek, Dutch
- Notifications: Display notification or vibration
- Apps: All events (displays in chronological order), Messaging (SMS/MMS), corporate E-mail (for Sony™ and Sony Ericsson Android phones), Gmail (for all other Android smartphones) Calendar Notifications, Facebook™, Twitter™, Music Player, Call handling (call, mute, reject, or answer and send pre-defined SMS), Pre-defined SMS, e.g. missed calls – I’m busy, messaging – call me, email – ok, Battery strength, Find phone, andWeather widget. Plus lots of apps on Android™ market.
- Additional SmartWatch bands available in pink, white, mint, grey and blue
You might also like
Garmin-Asus, a joint product venture between GPS maker Garmin and PC maker Asus(tek) plan to launch their first smartphone based on Android no later than the first quarter of next
LG took a big step towards calming their Android user base this morning, advising that they are working to bring Android 4.0 to a number of their devices. Rumors were
While most of us were putting the finishing touches on wrapping gifts, some lucky fella spent his Christmas Eve playing with the new Espresso build of HTC’s Sense UI on