NTT DOCOMO announces sixteen Android 4.0 phones and a tablet
And here we thought that Verizon released a bunch of Android devices in rapid succession. Japan’s NTT DOCOMO today announced that they will be offering no less than sixteen (16!) Android smartphones over the next few months. Every single one of them runs Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and many of them come from reputable companies such as Samsung, LG, and Sony. Oh, and then there’s also a tablet thrown in there as well!
Features for the smartphones are pretty impressive and include specs such as dual-cores, 8-megapixel cameras, NFC, and more.
Pricing and exact launch dates have yet to be determined however we suspect these will span the entire spectrum. If you’re heading to Japan this summer or happen to live there now, then you’ll have plenty of Android to choose from come June through Augsut!
Here are a couple of bullet points lifted straight from the NTT DOCOMO press release:
- All models run on Android 4.0.
- All eight “NEXT” series smartphones, three “with” series smartphones and the lineup’s slim, stylish W-Fi router are compatible with DOCOMO’s Xi LTE service for extra-fast access and navigation.
- Potent processing power, including one model with a quad-core CPU and 12 models with dual-core CPUs for enjoying rich applications and high-resolution videos and games on the high-speed Xi network.
- Four smartphones and the tablet are compatible with NOTTV™, a V-high multimedia broadcasting service.
- Many models offer highly in-demand features such as water resistance, NFC, infrared communications and One-Seg terrestrial digital broadcasting.
- Six models are expected to feature the preinstalled “Twonky Beam” app, which allows users to enjoy recorded digital terrestrial contents and others on their smartphones, as well as wirelessly transmitting browsed content such as videos, images or music to large-screen televisions or audio systems.