Until a few months ago, I was not all that familiar with the electronics and gadget outfit Satechi. Initially skeptical about a company I’ve never heard of, I since become a big fan. Their R1 tablet stand has become the base for much of my tablet use and I see quality in their designs. I’ve recently had the chance to test out one of their portable Bluetooth speakers and would like to share some of my impressions.
Much like the Logitech Mini Boombox, the Satechi BT Portable Speaker is a compact, travel-friendly wireless speaker that also handles phone calls. Small enough to fit in your palm, the black and chrome-trimmed device connects via Bluetooth or 3.5mm headphone jack. Features include a lithium-ion rechargeable battery (6 hrs playback), LED status light, hard buttons for playback control, and an accordion-like chamber for enhanced bass.
Considering its size, the Satechi BT Portable Speaker was a little louder than we expected however the sound wasn’t as full as we’d hoped. Even when using the signature Bass Expansion System”, the sound was somewhat flat. However, given the extreme portability one would be hard-pressed to find more in a comparable price.
As I’ve indicated on more than one occasion, my favorite thing to do while working is to listen to audio books and podcasts. For that, the Satechi BT Portable Speaker is perfect. I’ve carried this guy around (comes with a mesh bag) for the last couple of days and used it in the office, kitchen, and on the deck. If I were expecting to keep the speaker in a more permanent place I might consider picking up a second one and running it in series. Yes, that is also a nice selling feature.
Normally priced at $44.99 each, I see them listed on Satechi’s website for $39.99 right now. Heading over to Amazon, I see the same $39.99 price as well. Check both to see which is cheapest and grab one!
Satechi: BT Portable Speaker
3.3 ounce compact Bluetooth stereo speaker system wirelessly streams high quality audio and phone calls
- Features Satechi’s signature Bass Expansion System which extends the speakers to amplify dynamic audio range without compromising acoustic integrity
- Vacuum chamber opens up like an accordion to mimic the acoustic properties of subwoofers resulting in enhanced bass output
- Long-lasting lithium-ion rechargeable batteries allows for up to 6 hours of playback time
- Features an LED status indicator, USB cable to connect the device to any USB charger or port, and a 3.5mm jack compatible
- Integrated buttons to control track, volume, play/pause and answer/end calls
Available at: Amazon.com and Satechi.net