POLL: Do you bother to listen to voicemail?

Pop quiz, hotshot.  You pick up your phone and see three missed calls and two messages.  What do you do?  If you’re like a growing number of folks, you don’t even bother listening to voicemail any more.

What’s your use case?  Do you need to listen to a message to understand that mom wants you to call?  Is Caller ID enough for you to know who rang while you were watching the season finale of Breaking Bad?

Head below and leave your mark in our very unscientific poll.  Once you’re done, move to the comments and tell us your story.  Is there someone you always listen to?  How about someone you never listen to?

Scott Webster
Scott Webster 6602 posts

Google HK Video Tips Gingerbread Aesthetics [VIDEO]

A week old Google HK video on Google Voice Search provides our best look to date as to what the tweaked user experience from Gingerbread should be like.

Samsung SPH-L300 leaked, headed to Sprint?

Samsung Galaxy S III was launched a few days ago and we know that it will be coming to the States soon, and they are chances that Sprint will be

A Pair of NASA Apps Land on the Android Market

NASA releases a pair of pretty cool Android apps, that make it easy to either watch their award-winning show or check how they are affecting your local economy.

1. Aura Mae
    September 04, 15:21 Reply

I read my voicemails via Google Voice. I only listen if the transcription is REALLY bad.

2. Aura Mae
    September 04, 15:25 Reply

I read my voicemails via Google Voice. I only listen to the if the transcription is REALLY bad.

• Toys Samurai
      September 04, 22:47 Reply

Same here. 9 out of 10 times, reading the transcript is all I need.

3. CopierITGuy
    September 04, 15:48 Reply

I never listen to voicemails since Google Voice started transcribing them. If Google Voice can’t translate it, I don’t need to hear it!!!

4. QDOG8
    September 04, 15:57 Reply

I only listen to voice mails from people I don’t plan on calling back immediately

5. Greg Bell
    September 04, 18:15 Reply

I’m not in the US so I can’t use Google Voice [ =( ] but my carrier has a voice to text transcription service, it sends them as text messages. Before I switched to them I had voicemail disabled.

6. ellett
    September 04, 19:11 Reply

I read my v/m as transcribed by Google Voice. Even if GV doesn get the transcription entirely correct, there’s enough to figure out the subject of the message.

7. bucketachicken
    September 04, 21:04 Reply

I currently live in Alabama, and to be honest, GV does not handle Southern accents well, splitting elongated diphthongs into multiple syllables or even words, and various other things (reply if you’re interested in specifics, I’m a linguistics PhD student and will happily discuss). So most of the time, yes, I still listen to them. I can often get the gist from the transcription, but rarely the details.

8. rick
    September 09, 10:10 Reply

you have to educate your friends about your voice mail…too many stupid people out there…