New platform figures indicate Android 4.0 powers more than 100 million devices
The latest Android developer platform figures are online and show a steadily growing Android 4.0 and 4.1 experience. As of the 14 day period ending September 4, Ice Cream Sandwich now powers 20.9 percent of all Android devices, or roughly 100 million units. How did we arrive at that number? Quick and dirty math, my friends.
Eric Schmidt, speaking yesterday at the Motorola event, told us that there are now more than 480,000,000 Android devices in the world. Growing at a rate of 1.3 million per day, it’s a number we simply cannot wrap our heads around. Nevertheless, we did a quick calculation and found that 20.9% of 480 million comes out to 100,320,000 Android 4.0.X devices.
Using the same unscientific practice, here’s what we found for the other platform releases. Keep in mind that all this has likely changed by the time you read this. You know, something about a million products per day just fuzzes up the math.
- Android 1.5 Cupcake – 960,000
- Android 1.6 Donut – 1,920,000
- Android 2.1 Eclair – 17,760,000
- Android 2.2 Froyo – 67,200,000
- Android 2.3.X Gingerbread – 276,000,000
- Android 3.X Honeycomb – 10,080,000
- Android 4.0.X – Ice Cream Sandwich – 100,320,000
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean – 5,760,000