Google Wallet: Prepaid cards discontinued

Google Wallet: Prepaid cards discontinued

Google Wallet users are now getting a warning to spend their Google Prepaid Card balance before October 17th at which point Google will be removing all prepaid cards from the Google Wallet App. After this date passes the only way to get your money back is to put in a refund at the Google Wallet Prepaid Site. For you guys and gals that have a prepaid card sitting around and think you can spend it before the 17th of October, you can still add the cards to your account until September 17th. Also, resetting your Google Wallet app (if you have a prepaid card) during this time frame will be a bad idea because you will not be allowed to re-add it either.

Google claims they are discontinuing the Prepaid Cards because of the recent addition to their app, allowing users to add any debit or credit cards. Do you think this was a smart decision? Are you sad to see Google Wallet Prepaid Cards go? Let us know in the comments below!

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4625 posts

HTC One SV shows up at FCC, coming to USA?

HTC recently launched the HTC One SV in United Kingdom, an Android powered device with specs good enough to impress an iPhone user, but not a Nexus 4 one. Though

Get ready mobile gamers, Duke Nukem 3D finally available for Android

Calling all Duke Nukem fans, I need your attention. Remember when we told you that Duke Nukem would hit the Android Market “very soon?” Well, after only 20 days, the

Sprint Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE leaked, launch this month

US major carrier Sprint is planning to come out with yet another device that will be light on your wallet, just like Kyocera Rise. I am talking about Samsung Galaxy

1. DeaVea
    September 11, 08:06 Reply

I won’t trust it until they think of some way of prevent someone from beeping my pocket with an NFC reader to steal my credit card info. Prepaid was the only way to get me using it since there’s a set limit to the spending.

• banjoonmyknee
      September 11, 08:28 Reply

I thought NFC doesn’t work if your screen/phone is locked. At least that was my impression with the Samsung Galaxy S3.

• DeaVea
        September 11, 08:49 Reply

Maybe they finally made it so it can be selectively disabled, but I do recall examples where NFC was always on for particular apps (not necessarily Wallet).

• derk p
          September 11, 09:03 Reply

your logic is flawed. *sigh* and i dont even feel like typing out the technicals. google it.

• banjoonmyknee
          September 11, 09:11 Reply

You have to basically do whole lot of mucking around, flashing zip files and the like to disable the NFC lock. It’s not like it happens out of the box. In other words, you’d have to have physical access and the passwords to the phone to begin with in order to make it happen.

2. banjoonmyknee
    September 11, 08:27 Reply

Mixed emotions on this one. I don’t yet trust my own debit/credit cards to this because I’ve found that the transaction reporting is sketchy at best, although the balance has always been correct. I had essentially been using the Google card as a cash card, keeping only a small balance on it. So, I probably won’t be using it much anymore.

3. Chris V.
    September 11, 10:39 Reply

I think Google doesn’t want to alienate the credit card companies. But when I bought the Sprint phone, they were supposed to give me $50 credit in Google Wallet, but only $10 showed up so far, not sure what will happen to the rest.