Sony scoops new Ice Cream Sandwich update for Tablet S
Sony today announced that they have rolled out an Android 4.0.3 update to the Tablet S. Unlike other Android 4.0 updates this one adds a significant number of Sony features to the device. Sony stuff like that found in the recently announced Xperia Tablet S. You know, guest mode, media players, and new widgets… that sort of stuff. If you’ve got one of these tablets and have not noticed the update yet, keep an eye on your notifications.
Sony Tablet™ S Gets Updated In The US
Hey US-based Sony Tablet S owners, we didn’t want the new Xperia™ Tablet S owners to have all the fun. You may have noticed a little notification on your device today for a new software update (Android™ 4.0.3). This is a big one that offers all sorts of new cool features, so we wanted to break it down for you.
- Guest Mode – Easily share your tablet with family and friends! You’ll notice in the upper right hand corner you now have an icon for guest mode. This allows you to create additional modes for your friends, children, family members, whoever. You can restrict or grant access to specific apps, and you can customize the wallpaper and icon layout for them.
- New media player applications (WALKMAN®, Album, Movies) – Our media players have been redesigned and offer some useful new features, so definitely check them out.
- New Small Apps – We have added more apps to the Small Apps feature. Now you can overlay a small browser, IR remote, calculator, voice recorder and timer on top of another app. You can also register and use widgets as small apps now.
- New macro functionality on the Remote Control App – We know our IR remote control app is very popular, and we have now made it even better. You can now add six programmable macro keys, which allow the ability to turn on multiple devices, including TV, Blu-ray Disc™ player and audio system, with the touch of one button. For example, you can program sequenced commands such as “Watch TV” or “Play Music.” You can also now choose a different skin for each device so you can easily distinguish between them.
- New widgets, including Topics – You will also notice new large widgets added to the Home Screen. These show more content, including Topics.
- Socialife – Social Feed Reader Cloud has been revamped as Socialife. This social news magazine app helps you discover your favorite news, videos and social networking feeds in one place.
- Watch Now – Make sure you download this app from Google Play™. Watch Now provides an interactive, visual program guide fueled by personal preference and real-time trends from your social media feeds. You can use it to discover new shows based on intelligent recommendations from the app, change the channel with a flick of your finger or share your thoughts on what you are watching via Twitter™, Facebook® or Get Glue.
You will also notice quite a few more little things, like a bunch of new icons and a better copy and paste capability. So get moving, download the software update and get to know all the new features. And let us know, which one is your favorite?
Header Image: Android Foundry
You might also like
Virgin Mobile USA this week introduced its first 4G LTE mobile hotspot, the Netgear Mingle. Priced $99, the device piggybacks off of Sprint’s network and is equipped for the carrier’s
Is it just me, or does it feel like that perhaps the industry is finally taking notice that Android is here to stay? The latest indication that this is so
Handset maker Motorola has joined Verizon in teasing us with the next generation of Droid. A mini-page of sorts has gone live on Motorola’s consumer website, allowing interested parties to