It’s official, there’s a new Nexus smartphone coming in about two weeks. Oh, and there’s also a new Nexus tablet coming on the same day. Both are set to hit Google Play store on November 13 and will come loaded with Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. What’s new about this version of Android? Well, here’s what we’ve pulled together from the news today. We’ll update this if we come across more details, so be sure to check back.
New to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean:
- Photo Sphere – capture images in every direction to create 360-degree photos that can be shared on Google+, Google Maps, etc.
- Gesture Typing – glide your finger over the letters you want to type on the keyboard (think Swype, SwiftKey Flow)
- Support for wireless display – Wirelessly watch movies, YouTube videos and play games right on Miracast-compatible HDTV.
- Support for multiple users – Users can log in and have their own homescreen, background, widgets, apps and games (high scores and levels). Available only on tablets.
- Daydream: Set your tablet to display photos, news and more when docked or idle. Same applies for Nexus 4 on wireless charger.
- Enhanced, Actionable Notifications: Same stuff we saw in Android 4.1 but enhanced a bit for this release.
Other new stuff:
- Updates to Google Now – New cards for flight information, restaurant reservations, hotel confirmations, shipping details, nearby attractions, interesting photo spots, movies times at nearby theaters or concerts by your favorite artists.
- Updates to Google Play – Movie purchasing in Canada, the U.K., France, Spain and Australia. New magazines and content from Time, Inc. (InStyle, PEOPLE, TIME, etc) as well as music from Warner Music Group. Google is now working with all major record labels globally, and all the major U.S. magazine publishers, as well as many independent labels, artists and publishers. Google Play Music is coming to Europe (U.K, France, Germany, Italy and Spain) on November 13.