We’ve always known Velocity Cruz tablets to be.. well, certainly not the best. Outdated specs and poor build quality have haunted Velocity for years, but it appears that they’re catching up to the curve with their latest announcement. Meet the Cruz D610, pictured above. It’s packing a dual-core ARM processor of unknown clock speed, a 10-inch display, and Android 4.1. Obviously these aren’t the latest and greatest, but we’re just happy to see a Cruz tablet that isn’t running Froyo.
Velocity didn’t stop there, though. They also announced the even more impressive Cruz Q610, which has all the same specs as the D610, but with a quad-core ARM processor instead. I have to admit, it actually looks kind of nice. Velocity hasn’t impressed in the past, but they might have raised a few eyebrows with these two devices today. No individual pricing has been announced, but we’ve been told that it’ll start at $199. We suspect that’s for the D610, but time will tell.
So are you excited that Velocity is finally stepping up in the tablet world? Anyone think they should’ve just given up long ago? Sound off in the comments! The full press release can be found below.
Velocity Micro® Announces New Products for CES 2013
Products Include mini PC, Quad Core Cruz tablets, Ultrabook™, and More
Richmond, VA — Jan 3, 2013 — Velocity Micro®, the premier builder of award winning enthusiast desktops, laptops, peripherals, and Cruz™ tablets announces several new products to be debuted at the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Products include the dual core D610 Cruz tablet, quad core Q610 Cruz tablet, and the 4” x 4” Edge™ Mini. Additionally, the recently announced NoteMagix™ Ultrabook™ devices and Edge™ AIO will be on display along with several Velocity Micro desktop skus and peripherals. All product demos for press and retail customers will be held via scheduled meetings in a private suite at Bellagio.
“Our goal this year was to blend the enthusiast level and the mainstream, to create a class of products with mass appeal,” said Velocity Micro President and CEO Randy Copeland. “These products embody the ideals that have made us famous – they’re aesthetically pleasing, blazingly fast, competitively priced, and designed and built in the USA.”
Velocity Micro products making their debut at CES 2013 include:
- Edge Mini – At just 4” x 4” and under 1.5” thick, the Edge Mini is the smallest desktop on the market. Powered by 3rd Generation Intel® Core® i3 processor, mSATA hard drives, and a full version of Windows®, the Edge Mini has home theater, home office, and digital signage applications. Built in Richmond, VA. Configurations start at $499.
- Cruz D610 and Cruz Q610 – Powered by dual core and quad core ARM processors respectively, these 10” Android 4.1 tablets are both powerful and affordable, available in late Q1. Prices start around $199.
In addition to the products debuting at the show, Velocity Micro will also be demoing and displaying the following currently available products:
- NoteMagix Ultrabook Devices – The newly launched line of 14” Ultrabook™ devices put the aesthetics, craftsmanship, speed, and support of a Velocity Micro desktop into a mobile package. Specs include 3rd Generation Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processors, ultra-fast Intel 520 Series SSDs, Windows 7 or 8, and an integrated DVD-RW drive. Built in Richmond, VA. Prices start at $799.
- Edge™ AIO – Designed with the same ideals that have made Velocity Micro famous with enthusiasts around the world, the 23.6” Edge AIO combines the craftsmanship, performance, and support of an award-winning Velocity Micro PC with the convenience and efficiency of an All-in-One. Built in Richmond, VA, configurations start at $799.
- VMultra™ Drive – a USB external DVD-RW (or optional Blu ray), USB 3.0 hub, media Reader, and 500GB Hard Drive in one, perfect for all Ultrabooks and ultra-thin laptops. Built in Richmond, VA. Available for $199 for DVD, or $299 for Blu ray.
- Gaming and Mainstream Desktops – The Raptor Z90 and Vector Z25, two of the most adorned desktops on Velocity Micro’s lineup, are each specially configured for maximum performance in their respective price ranges. Available with either Windows 7 or 8, and built in Richmond, VA. Starting at $749.
For full product details or to schedule a one-on-one hands on demo during the show, contact Josh Covington at [email protected].
About Velocity Micro, Inc.
Velocity Micro, Inc. is the premier high-performance personal computer provider in North America. Founded in 1992, Richmond, Va.-based Velocity Micro custom builds award winning gaming, mobile, multimedia, small business, workstation, visual supercomputers and peripherals. Velocity Micro products are currently available at most consumer electronics retailers nationwide. For more information, please call (800) 303-7866 or visit www.VelocityMicro.com
Velocity Micro has earned over 60 industry awards, including 16 PC Magazine Editor’s Choice awards. CNET, Maximum PC, Mobile PC, PC World, Computer Gaming World, Computer Shopper, and PC Gamer editors have all chosen Velocity Micro systems as some of the industry’s best-performing, highest-quality, and most reliable PCs.