From the rumor mill: Motorola X phone to be sold cheaply on Google Play, unlockable on Verizon, and available on multiple carriers
Over at Droid-Life, there’s some inside information leaking that may or may not be of any actual value… but we can hope. The rumor mill is now pushing hard on the Motorola X phone, and dropping lists like the following:
- Motorola X Phone will be announced at Google I/O in May.
- Current target for release is July 8 (definitely subject to change).
- All carriers will sell the X Phone.
- Verizon will sell it for $299 on contract.
- All versions will also be sold through the Google Play store at similar off-contract price to Nexus line.
- If you want to unlock the bootloader through Verizon, they will charge a $15/month fee.
- If you buy it through Google Play, it comes unlocked with no fee.
- Not a “Nexus” but will come running stock Android and with some bloatware.
- Bloatware can apparently be removed once unlocked.
In case you’re wondering, yes… the 4th from the bottom says unlocking from Verizon for $15 / month. Weird, for sure. What do you think? Be sure to let us know in the comments.