Let’s face it, Android can be a bit fragmented at times. But who says we need to rely on carriers to push updates? Android is much more than a closed OS, ran by carriers. Thanks to the developers modifying Android, we can choose who we rely on for future updates and when we want to receive them. So with the new release of Android 4.2, there is no need to wait for your carrier to push it out, just install it now, here’s how:
We're giving stuff away to help celebrate our tenth anniversary. Are you in?
- Android 4.2 Download (please choose your carrier)
- GAPPS (Google Apps) Download
- Place the two files on your SD Card
- *Download the files directly on the device to place them in your internal storage
- Download Rom Manager
- *This is a free root required application that allows you to boot into recovery, manage roms, and manage backups.
- Reboot into Recovery
- *Using Rom Manager, navigate to “Reboot Recovery”
- Backup your current rom
- *Using the volume rocker as up/down, navigate to “backup”, and select with the power button.
- Clear Data and Cache
- *Using your volume rocker as up/down, navigate to “Wipe Data/ Factory Reset”, and select with the power button. Then navigate to “Wipe Cache partition”, and select with the power button.
- Install the Android 4.2 rom
- *Using your volume rocker as up/down, navigate to “Install Zip from Internal”, then navigate to the “download” folder, and select the Cyanogenmod 10.1 .zip file.
- Install the GAPPS
- *Using your volume rocker as up/down, navigate to “Install Zip from Internal”, then navigate to the “download” folder, and select the GAPPS .zip file
- Reboot and Enjoy
- *You’re done!
Please remember that rooting and flashing custom roms to your device can be very, very dangerous. AndroidGuys.com and myself are not responsible for any problems that may occur during this process. For an added tutorial, please view the attached video for a visual step-by-step tutorial.
[youtube url=”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y89i8hpWD5E&list=UUvtKdGMoFdNXCb3TooTRZuA&index=1″ width=”600″ autohide=”0″]