March 3, 2015

Tutorial: Install Android 4.2 on the Samsung Galaxy S3 (All Variants)

Android 4.2 on Samsung Galaxy S3

Let’s face it, Android can be a bit fragmented at times. But who says we need to rely on carriers to push updates? Android is much more than a closed OS, ran by carriers. Thanks to the developers modifying Android, we can choose who we rely on for future updates and when we want to receive them. So with the new release of Android 4.2, there is no need to wait for your carrier to push it out, just install it now, here’s how:

Prerequisites:

• Rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 (how to)
  • Unlocked Bootloader (how to)

Downloads:

Procedure

• Place the two files on your SD Card
    •  *Download the files directly on the device to place them in your internal storage
  • Download Rom Manager
    • *This is a free root required application that allows you to boot into recovery, manage roms, and manage backups.
  • Reboot into Recovery
    • *Using Rom Manager, navigate to “Reboot Recovery”
  • Backup your current rom
    • *Using the volume rocker as up/down, navigate to “backup”, and select with the power button.
  • Clear Data and Cache
    • *Using your volume rocker as up/down, navigate to “Wipe Data/ Factory Reset”, and select with the power button. Then navigate to “Wipe Cache partition”, and select with the power button.
  • Install the Android 4.2 rom
    • *Using your volume rocker as up/down, navigate to “Install Zip from Internal”, then navigate to the “download” folder, and select the Cyanogenmod 10.1 .zip file.
  • Install the GAPPS
    • *Using your volume rocker as up/down, navigate to “Install Zip from Internal”, then navigate to the “download” folder, and select the GAPPS .zip file
  • Reboot and Enjoy
    • *You’re done!

Please remember that rooting and flashing custom roms to your device can be very, very dangerous. AndroidGuys.com and myself are not responsible for any problems that may occur during this process. For an added tutorial, please view the attached video for a visual step-by-step tutorial.

Related Posts

1. Casey Borders

You should really give some credit to CyanogenMod if you’re going to link to their stuff.

2. Daniel

Is this 4.2 jelly bean? If so, I have a factory unlocked i905, which carrier download should I use?

• smarterthanuare

LG has had a very spotty history with Android phones. The Verizon LG Spectrum and all of its variants across other carriers have a serious issue that causes it to reboot, presumably to prevent overheating. Sometimes this happens while on a phone call. Only idiots would make a phone like that. It’s a real shame that Google didn’t stick with Samsung or HTC for the Nexus 4. The Samsung Galaxy S3 is the easiest phone in the world to put stock AOSP Android on.

3. J. Macall Arnold

I have the Verizon SGS3 and flashed the CM 10.1 M Now My mobile data is no longer working, and I can’t connect my phone to pc via usb cord. Also, a notification keeps coming up saying “Restricted Access Changed” Any suggestions to getting my data back? (Wifi works).

4. Andreas

Hello, where can i get the Live? – Wallpaper with the Aircrafts flying from the left to the right of the Screen? :) Thank You

5. Genia

Will this work with a rooted C Spire GS3? I know it very similiar to the Sprint version, so just checking.

6. torres

Ok the unlock bootloader link is for verizpn only and not all variants. Ez unlock bricked my phone have to jtag it now. Dont trust these guys they dont know what theyre talking about

7. Hamzah Younus

im rooted with an international device (so already unlocked bootloader) but everytime I try to get to the clockwork mod screen with the power-vol up-home button maneuver, i end up at android recovery menu! help

8. Heinz Ruffieux

Thank you for that superb tutorial! Once I really did as you said :-) it worked like a charm!

My only problem is, that my newly installed S3 is no longer visible in the play store. Did anyone else had that problem too?? I could see it before, but not anymore after the update. I am a Google Apps for Business customer and my phone is properly connected to the related account and I can download apps normally.

Any hints?

Thanks

Heinz

9. kmanga

I followed all your steps and then when I hit reboot I got the “system software not authorized by Verizon” message.

Please help!!!

10. Whats THE WALLPAPER ?!?!?!?!?

Anyone know what is the wallpaper that the device image? Please !!!! @caseyborders:disqus @TonyArcher:disqus @michael_aston:disqus @ac438e263566f695d9d3b68f96a6ca21:disqus @ad4d1f0bb0c51c95be12fbc9b5e66211:disqus @5308d394fd3a926684e3c329e56e3b94:disqus @facebook-100003861068027:disqus @smarterthanuare:disqus @twitter-20815136:disqus @daa2eb8ceb155f8068c4a1b5294fd714:disqus @338809913029d450792dfefeb54ea491:disqus @a44677f990458844dcf3ec0586fd2283:disqus @eliseojacobo:disqus @6b47a3a62f8333557e8b4bd83508f27b:disqus @17b16527ee5e5ad02b7d7818e8a8c39d:disqus @facebook-100002672420336:disqus

11. Ian Navarro

My phone s3 lost the setting or its stop the android and email now even the wifi connection its lost whay will I do

POST A COMMENT.