Verizon upgrading DROID RAZR and RAZR MAXX to Jelly Bean

Verizon upgrading DROID RAZR and RAZR MAXX to Jelly Bean

Verizon’s DROID RAZR and RAZR MAXX are probably one of the best Motorola smartphones you can grab from Big Red. If not the best, they may among the most popular these last few months.

Verizon is currently deploying the Android Jelly Bean update for these two but you can also manually download it. To so do, head to settings and follow the typical procedure of upgrading your phone.

Motorola-Droid-Razr-Maxx-Android-Jelly-Bean-update-Verizon-2If you want to know what your DROID RAZR or RAZR MAXX will be able to do after upgrading to the latest version, you can check this full list over at Motorola.

Source: VZW

Asad Rafi
Asad Rafi 725 posts

Back in 2011, Asad started as an intern at AndroidGuys, and today he is one of the youngest and active members of the team. He's writing about Android from almost 4 years, and when he is not doing that, he is either watching Suits, Breaking Bad, watching a Manchester United game, or just studying..

OnePlus issues invitation for April 20th event

We learned recently that OnePlus was negotiating for additional funding from Silicon Valley venture capitalists. Now, we see a post from the company on its Google+ page inviting us to some

USA TODAY Launches Android App

MCLEAN, Va., May 13 — USA TODAY, the nation’s top-selling newspaper and a leading online destination, today announced the availability of a USA TODAY application on Android Market. “In the

Best Buy Announces its Music Cloud Service

Thanks to Best Buy, Android users now have yet another metaphor wielding service in which to upload their music libraries to. Introducing “Best Buy Music Cloud,” a cross-platform music service that allows Android, Apple (no premium service for you), and Blackberry users access to their digital music collection on-the-go.

• Bob
      March 11, 11:38 Reply

I know, me too… the same here! nada!

1. David
    March 11, 11:36 Reply

Same here I’m checking every 1/2 hour no update

2. LukeBK
    March 11, 12:16 Reply

I have tried several times but no updated yet.

3. Ryan
    March 11, 12:25 Reply

I’ve been checking since Motorola made the announcement Thursday – nothing.

4. John
    March 11, 13:36 Reply

I have also been checking since Thursday and nothing. Moto’s web site also still says expected to roll out in Q1 as if nothing has been announced. Almost like that blog post never happened.

5. Dave
    March 11, 14:14 Reply

I keep checking al the time. “phone up to date!” LOL Right. ICS was a disaster and now I am waiting 9 months for the fix. Yesterday my notificaton kept cycling and my phone got hot! Had to do the soft reset multiple times. Missing email. Phone that goes dead after taking a picture, More soft resets. Phone that goes dead in the holster. Voice to text fails frequently. VZ was goig to give me my choice of new (refurb) phones but I waited. Now that I am asking again thy are ilent. Considering asking or a Razor Maxx HD or a GalaxyS3. My wife says to go back to HTC where I was happy. Perhaps I should go to Sprint. They have a tower on the hill behind my house!

• DroidGuru
      March 11, 18:36 Reply

Nothing is worth switching back to sprints bad network or horrible customer service. Just call verizon and let them set u up :) I’m sure if you asked for a replacement phone of similar quality you’d get something great!

• Dave
        March 12, 17:11 Reply

See my new post at the top of the thread.

• Brett Director
        March 12, 00:31 Reply

Me too. I checked right after midnight and it is installing right now. About 20 minutes to download and it indicated it will take about 20 minutes to install. I’m located in NYC

6. Paul
    March 11, 14:45 Reply

Nada checking…. why tell us and not let us download it! lets us get it from Motorola!!

7. dep7418
    March 11, 14:59 Reply

I know the soak update has been pulled and is available to download fro other sites. I think i’ll wait for the OTA to arrive, however.

8. lee
    March 11, 17:20 Reply

Yeh ive been trying also im in ohio where is everyone else located?

• Allen254
      March 11, 18:04 Reply

im in cali and still no update been checking since thursday

9. Allen254
    March 11, 18:23 Reply

Has anyone got the update yet OTA ….not downloaded

10. bryan
    March 11, 19:24 Reply

No update here in NYC… wtfff

11. b
    March 11, 19:40 Reply

Nothing here in New Jersey yet.

12. E
    March 11, 19:56 Reply

Guys, i spoke to Motorola and Jelly hasn’t officially been released. what was sent out was a test, once the test is officially over with, Jelly bean will then be sent out in batches over the next couple of days but there is no exact date of when the test will be over with but i am sure verizon and motorola will keep their promise and send it out within the month since it brings us to our 1st quater. Hang tight.

• maab
      March 12, 00:12 Reply

I was part of the test, and it was officially finished at 11:45 pm EST. Will now be sent out in batches starting “later this evening”

13. Jerry Cronie
    March 11, 20:06 Reply

I’m checking every five seconds. Still nothing but Your device is up to date! No update is necessary at this time.

14. joe haddakin
    March 11, 20:11 Reply

I had an itch & got tired of waiting for JB OTA push & figured out how to manually download it. Am running 4.1.2 on my RAZR Max right now.

15. Dave
    March 11, 21:26 Reply

I am just fed up with the RazorMaxx ICS debacle. If they do offer me a new (and different) phone, should I go for the Razor Maxx HD, the Galaxy S3 or something else? I love the RM battery. But perhaps a different manufacturer will be more responsive to upgrades. You guys are rather knowlegeable and probably have a variety of phones.

• Dave
      March 12, 17:10 Reply

Well I got the Jelly Bean update this morning. 20 minute download. 20 minute install. Don’t really know what to say. My nice weather widget disappeared but everything else stayed the sme. All my apps are intact and the information is still intact. Gallery displays my pictures bigger and seems to categorize them. Perhaps someone has a guide out. Still not sure I’m staying with this phone. Software or hardware, the problems have gotte to me. the heating phone (pocket warmer substitute) seemed to break the straw the other day.

16. Jordan Brown
    March 11, 21:29 Reply

My friend at school just got it last night and I still have 4.0.4

17. Alex
    March 11, 21:33 Reply

I call bullshit on Motorola and verizon. Just saying they released it so we would stop asking. Definitely last Motorola phone I’m ever getting.

18. Adam
    March 11, 21:38 Reply

The update is not OFFICIALLY released neither by Verizon nor Motorola. The Motorola site still says to be released in Q1 and VZW says SOON….Patience people!

• VANiceGuy
      March 12, 07:28 Reply

I’m in Chesapeake, VA and my update just started a few minutes ago (3/12/13, 7:15 am)

19. Allen254
    March 11, 21:45 Reply

knowing these fuckers it will come out last day of march

20. Lin McDowell
    March 11, 22:13 Reply

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but this is not actually the case (if you believe the two different Motorola reps I chatted with tonight. They both confirmed that although both Motorola pages: http://www.motorola.com/blog/2013/03/07/droid-razr-droid-razr-maxx-by-motorola-receives-android-4-1-jelly-bean/. and https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/93191 state that the update began rolling out as of 3/7 (as does the Verizon site: http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2013/03/droid-razr-jelly-bean.html., it has only been released to restricted users for testing purposes. They said the first Motorola page was just for “informational purposes”. They couldn’t respond at all to the second page I listed above. Of course, they could say nothing about Verizon. Totally misleading.

21. Franko_Grimeso
    March 11, 22:24 Reply

I did the manual update. Things seem to be working fine. If you are tired of waiting you should check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ipjHn-TbL0 he gives the links to the file you need and walks you through it.

I like it so far – Phone seems way faster and doesn’t lag when loading pictures. The Google search assistant aka “Better than Siri” is updated and better. I’m not too crazy about the gallery, but maybe I’ll find a cool app for that.

22. Tunnel Vision
    March 11, 23:34 Reply

My phone is lying to me. It keeps saying “Your device is up to date!”.

23. J.D. Hyman
    March 11, 23:55 Reply

I finally got it, but I got it as I was part of the soak test.

24. Rey
    March 12, 00:09 Reply

Guys I. Justly got it I live in dfw TX 4% now

25. jaime
    March 12, 00:20 Reply

I have just started downloading it…Its about 12:19am on 3-12….iam in Tampa Bay btw

26. TimmyT
    March 12, 00:29 Reply

OTA update right now in Boise ID

27. John
    March 12, 00:31 Reply

I just tried again (23:30 Central Time) and it started downloading!

28. Joe
    March 12, 00:38 Reply

Just got the update via manual check. Go to menu > about phone > software update. It is currently 11:35 in illinois.

29. Rob
    March 12, 00:40 Reply

Update downloading in denver 10.45 at 2percent

30. Gordon
    March 12, 00:43 Reply

Finishing the update now (optimizing apps). Started at about 12:20am 3/12 in NYC. Updated manually via system update.

31. Nick4G
    March 12, 00:59 Reply

Might want to check it now. I’m updating my RAZR Maxx right now from East Coast, USA.

• Aaron
      March 12, 01:18 Reply

heck yeah….updating now, near Chicago

32. E
    March 12, 01:11 Reply

Got my jelly Bean update.

33. Miguel Estrada
    March 12, 01:44 Reply

It’s 145 eastern time I’m downloading the update here in NC please everyone be patient

34. Travis
    March 12, 03:52 Reply

I finally got my jelly bean update on my razr maxx. It came through at around 10:30 pm on March 11. It’s about time

35. Darren
    March 12, 07:26 Reply

Jellybean update now… Jacksonville Fl

36. Mitchell Kahl
    March 12, 08:40 Reply

I just got it. I went into settings and was able to start the update. It takes about 2 hours to download and then install the update

• Susan
      March 12, 10:27 Reply

Mine only took an hour but I was using 4G for the download. So far so good. I like Google Now so far although I haven’t figure out all the features yet.

37. Nick
    March 12, 09:06 Reply

Received the update at midnight.

38. Meeee
    March 12, 09:31 Reply

Waiting for my update to finish….I’m excited as my hubby already has it so I know what to expect!!!:☺

39. jj
    March 12, 09:53 Reply

im downloading jelly bean now! hope its for the best!

40. dbchecker2
    March 12, 10:00 Reply

just got the upgrade this morning.
    I have been doing a manual check for software updates and it finally was available!

41. Gabriel
    March 12, 10:14 Reply

lol people. Just learn how to work your phone. Don’t wait for an OTA update. Just download the zip file of the update to your SD card and reboot in recovery mode. There’s at least 5 places online where you can get this file. I got it, and it made my Razr the phone it was always supposed to be. It’s amazing, and I’m stoked about it. Don’t wait for VZ to send you the update, as Moto has already released it. :) smile

42. PeeGee
    March 12, 10:17 Reply

Mine is updating now. I was wondering why it got so hot all of a sudden! I wish it gave me the option to wait until tonight when it was on the charger.

43. jwil
    March 12, 10:22 Reply

Mine also showed up in updates this morning. Downloading now.

44. David
    March 12, 10:33 Reply

Columbia SC OTA Updating on Droid Razr 10:30 EDT!

45. djmatte
    March 12, 16:01 Reply

got it in Ann Arbor. Pretty slick and so far I think my phone runs better on JB than it was on ICS. In the last few weeks, it was getting overheated somehow. Google now meets all expectations. :)

46. Chicki
    March 16, 12:00 Reply

I’m in Springfield, Oregon and my update came OTA yesterday for my Droid MAXX. Took a long time.

47. DUTCHITGUY
    March 21, 17:05 Reply

DUTCHITGUY – SOL.. nothing yet and the Motorola and Verizon sites say it has been out for 11 days or more now. According to Verizon support it is a tiered deployment and doing a manual check will do nothing for you.

48. linfroe68
    March 21, 20:23 Reply

update worst deal ever!!! phone apps dont work, pics lost, social media sharing gone, wifi no connection.. to name a few… oh yeah sd card no good all pics gone from there too!!! cant wait to get rid of this phone!!!droid sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49. Nikki
    March 24, 01:31 Reply

the update sucks I want my working phone back not this piece of crap!

50. Kevin Newton
    April 12, 13:52 Reply

VZW announced Android 4.1 upgrade for RAZR early March. Now it’s April 12 & my phone still says no upgrade available. WHY?!?!?!