- Please sign in to purchase this News Issue
- This news issue is now available on your device
- Please sign in to get this News issue
- To read Google Play News, you must have a supported Android phone or tablet
- You have subscribed to this news edition. It is now available on your device
It remains unclear as to what sort of news sources we may be getting from Google; major newspapers from around the country (or globe) seems the obvious choice. Also uncertain is the timing of when all of this takes effect. With Google I/O fast approaching, it stands to reason that this is one of the big reveals at the annual conference.
Just for fun, I’d like to toss out that this could also come in the form of a Google Reader alternative. The timing might be coincidental, or not. Perhaps Google will sunset Reader in favor of Play News? This might also be hints that Currents could be folded into the Play experience and allow for subscriptions. The only thing that smells funny is the “News Issue” stuff. RSS doesn’t come in the form of one bit of news; it’s all or nothing.
Would you be willing to purchase individual newspapers or consider an ongoing subscription? Do you think this is a sign that Google Reader could live on? Let’s hear it in the comments!