There’s a new project going for an Android tablet. Isn’t the Android world saturated enough with tablets, though? Well, this one is different. According to the project site:
Built for survival, Earl works where today’s smart phones and tablets cannot. Style meets efficiency with Earl’s intuitive design, fusing Android 4.1 together with an energy sipping E-Ink screen and the latest in GPS, weather sensor, and radio communication technology. With Earl at your side, stay in control of your journey no matter where it takes you.
The tablet promises to bring together:
- A GPS chipset with cutting edge motion, force, and orientation readings
- ANT+ or Bluetooth 4.0 devices that measure heart rate, pace, and cadence
- Internal weather sensors to forecast changing conditions
- Two-way radio featuring a FRS, GMRS, and MURS transceiver with 20 mile range
- Built in AM / FM / SW / LW radio tuner
- NOAA emergency weather channels using Specific Area Message Encoding (SAME)
- Support for EPUB, MOBI, and PDF e-reader formats
The device would run on Android 4.1, and will also feature solar charging, as well as a purely e-ink screen.
As of this article, Earl has already reached well over $33,000 of their $250,000 goal. You can preorder Earl starting at $249 through June 9th, and backers get 30% off the retail price, as well as prorated discounts towards future upgrades and purchases. Be sure to hit up the source link below for full info, as well as to place your preorder. Let us know what you think in the comments.