PSA: Be careful when setting alarms and reminders in Google Now

PSA: Be careful when setting alarms and reminders in Google Now

Google Now is a wonderful tool for Android users. It’s sleek, intuitive, and gets things done for you much faster than you could do them manually. However, users should be aware of a small bug in Now.

When using the “remind me”, “set timer”, or “set alarm” function, Google Now has been having a small bug – not so small, however, if you’re really depending on those alarms and reminders. It seems that, when the user gives Google Now a time span in which to set an alarm or reminder, the app is occasionally adding a zero into the calculation for time. For example: saying “remind me xyz in 3 minutes” could result in an alarm in 30 minutes, or saying “set an alarm in 15 minutes” could give you an alarm in 105 minutes. It’s shown in the video below:

It should be noted that most users are saying the “remind me” bug has been resolved in the latest Google Now. However, this writer was able to reproduce the bug exactly on the latest version of Now by using the “set an alarm in” and “set timer in” commands: “set an alarm in 15 minutes’ actually set an alarm for 105 minutes later. I did verify I was running the most recent version of the Google app from the Play Store. The screenshot from that exact command is below:

Screenshot_2013-05-23-10-40-55

For now, we suggest both keeping an eye on your alarms when they’re being set, and making sure you always have the most recent version of Google from the Play Store.

Be sure to let us know below if you’re experiencing the same issues, or if yours seems to be resolved.

AndroidGuys
AndroidGuys 4625 posts

HTC clocks a $101 million operating loss in Q3 of 2013

HTC hasn’t had the sweetest numbers lately when it comes to their quarterlies, and this time around was no different. In their preliminary unaudited financial results for Q3 of this

Finding Your Dream Andy – Carriers

Finding the perfect phone is getting more complicated all the time.  There are a ton of choices out there and it can be difficult to know where to begin to

VZW to drop 1 yr contracts?

Word around the net is indicating that Big Red, aka Verizon Wireless, will be dropping their 1 yr customer agreements beginning April 17, 2011.  Including those who are “employee liable

1. Victor Stuber
    May 23, 11:50 Reply

I have bigger issues with notifications. If I set a reminder to do something when i get to work, it will remind me over and over and over again anytime I walk in and out of my work’s geofenced area. It should only remind you once. not 20 times and for multiple days

• dice90
      May 23, 12:00 Reply

I have the same issue. I don’t know how to get rid of the notification. Also I don’t notice it making any noise or anything. A notification just pops up in the Status Bar. That could be a setting I’m missing though.

• Bob
      May 23, 16:23 Reply

Acknowledge the reminder in Google Now by swiping it away. It should stay gone.

• Andy J
      May 23, 18:53 Reply

Pop into Settings > My Stuff > Reminders and if the reminder is listed – tap it and press “delete”

• Chris V.
      July 09, 09:35 Reply

What if you forget to do whatever you reminded yourself to do and came back to the office (or whatever reminder location) later? It would remind you again. That’s the point of the “dismiss”option.

• Victor Stuber
        July 09, 09:38 Reply

my point is that there’s no way to dismiss the notification for good. you can swipe it away, you can dismiss it but it will always come back. The only way to remove it is to go into the settings and delete it. So if you have a reminder to get milk after work, you will see that reminder over and over and over and over again. pretty annoying.

• thesaj
      July 23, 20:00 Reply

At least you get a reminder…

2. makapav
    May 23, 12:49 Reply

These bugs are ridiculously basic. Almost makes you think no one is testing them at Google.

3. Jlott
    May 23, 13:18 Reply

Running latest Google search version, and stock 4.2.2 on nex4

• Dustin
      May 23, 13:23 Reply

Can you try also with “set timer in 15 minutes”? I’m curious what happens.

• Jlott
        May 23, 13:44 Reply

It doesn’t like “timer”, haha.

4. thesaj
    July 23, 20:00 Reply

Heck, I have not been able to get Google Now to work with a location based alert yet. Its extremely annoying.

• fynyx
      November 20, 16:01 Reply

Try changing your location settings. There are 3 options. Network location. Gps location. Or mixed. Try each one and see what results you get

5. lad
    April 01, 15:51 Reply

When I set a reminder for a specific time it is an hour later than I set it for. I have enabled location. Can ‘t figure it out. Anyone?

6. Gadget Geek
    April 18, 03:14 Reply

Try saying, “Google, set reminder in __ seconds/minutes/hours. Tried and tested on numerous devices such as Apple, Android and Windows 8.

7. Mike
    May 13, 22:14 Reply

I’m surprised people haven’t caught on to this yet. instead of saying set timer or set alarm in 15 minutes, you should be saying “okay Google” set alarm for 15 minutes, see the difference? used the word” for ” instead of “in”

8. fynyx
    November 20, 15:58 Reply

Commandr for Google now takes care of this bugand adds some more functionality as well