Griffin WoodTones over-ear headphones review
As per my work here at AndroidGuys, I have no shortage of headphones lying around the apartment. This makes the competition all the more fierce when a new contender arrives. So, when Griffin sent over their new WoodTones over-the-ear headphones in lovely Sapele, I quickly put them through their paces.
Very lightweight for their size, these are really good looking. The finish on the “cups” is premium and has a satin-like quality to the touch. If you’re the type of person that thinks wood-grain only belongs on a steering wheel, you may be off-put by the stylized look. I personally prefer a solid matte finish (i.e. V-Moda Crossfade), but there’s nothing so ostentatious about these that would stop me from wearing them in public.
The “cups” (I admit, I don’t know the proper term) fit beautifully. I have, what I’d like to consider, normal-sized ears and I found great comfort in wearing them for extended periods. I found myself making a few phone calls after my playlist was over, with the built-in microphone, as my ears were too cozy to be pried away.
The sound is rich, warm, and clear. I found the volume to be about on-par with others in their price range, however I thought they performed a bit better at lower volumes when compared to some of my favorite <$100 pairs. They’re not going to top a higher-tier set of cans, but there’s also not any glaring inadequacies. Well worth the $100. They’ve earned a spot in my rotation.
Features & Specs (via Griffin) :
- Real hand-turned wood enclosures with unique woodgrain
- Wooden housings enhance voice and bass frequencies without coloring the sound
- 50 mm moving coil neodymium magnet drivers for powerful sound
- Over 90-degree pivoting earphones
- One-size-fits-all headband
- Impedance: 32 ohms
- Sensitivity: 108 dB ± 3 dB
- Frequency response: 20 to 20,000 Hz
- Lightweight for comfort
- Detachable 1/8″ (3.5 mm) cable with built-in mic
- Built-in mic also has controls for Siri, call answering and hangup and audio (play, pause, next/previous track)