Samsung to skip Android 4.2.2 for Galaxy S3 and Note 2, releasing Android 4.3 instead?

We are looking forward to updated version of the Jelly Bean which will be known as Android 4.3. We recently saw it running on the Galaxy S4, also on the Nexus devices as well. Though, right now many Android devices are getting updated to Android 4.2.2. Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 users are looking forward to it as well but according to a new report, Samsung might skip the 4.2.2 update and directly update both devices to Android 4.3.

Temefy is reporting that Android 4.2.2 update is delayed for Galaxy S2 and Note 2 for some obvious reasons. According to their insider, Samsung India is currently working on Jelly Bean 4.2.2 update as well as the Jelly Bean 4.3 update for the Galaxy S3 and Note 2. They further mentioned that Samsung will skip Android 4.2.2 due to “introduction of the Vanilla Experience of Jelly Bean 4.3 in Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition”.

Also Galaxy S4, S3, Note 3 and Note 2 will be receiving Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie, but in different time periods.

So Galaxy S3 and Note 2 owners, can you wait a little bit more? And do you think Android 4.3 is really coming? Tell us about it in the comment box below.

VIA: TechRadar

Asad Rafi
Asad Rafi 725 posts

Back in 2011, Asad started as an intern at AndroidGuys, and today he is one of the youngest and active members of the team. He's writing about Android from almost 4 years, and when he is not doing that, he is either watching Suits, Breaking Bad, watching a Manchester United game, or just studying..

Android Market to Allow for Paid Apps and Geo-Based Targeting Soon

It’s going to be an interesting first quarter for the Android Market.  It won’t be long until paid apps start showing up for people to download.  An email made its

AT&T taps $50 Pantech Flex for September 16

AT&T today announced that the Pantech Flex will join the carrier’s Android roster starting on Septmber 16.  Priced at only $49.99 with a two-year service agreement, the smartphone runs Android

HTC Sensation ROM Leaks, Features Sense 3.0

Bummed when you heard the news that your HTC handset wouldn’t see the newest version of Sense UI?  Chin up little fella.  Hackers and modders have your back.  Even though

1. Jason
    July 16, 16:33 Reply

As long as it doesn’t take more than 3 months. If it does I better have 4.2.2 for my note 2 by then

2. nmw407
    July 16, 16:49 Reply

I can wait as long as it actually comes true. The problem will be how long it’ll take the carriers to implement the updates once Samsung releases their updates. I’m sure they’ll wait until after the Note 3 comes out as well.

3. Leif Sikorski
    July 16, 17:01 Reply

When it comes to performance 4.2. was a step backwards compared to 4.1 in my opinion so it would make sense to wait and jump directly to 4.3. Hopefully Google has fixed some 4.2 problems there.

4. Havoc70
    July 16, 17:43 Reply

I will believe it when i see it, until then its all hot air.

• john
      July 16, 18:30 Reply

Couldn’t agree more..

5. ThinkingBrian
    July 16, 17:58 Reply

Well I could understand that if Smasung decided to go that route. Right now, 4.2.2 is just causing me problems on my Galaxy Nexus (and Nexus 7) and I really hope Android 4.3 or even 5.0 fixes my wifi issue and battery issue. Anyone with these devices could have the same issues too. Could be a good move if true.

By the way, on the (T-Mobile) Samsung Galaxy S2 with 4.1 Jelly Bean, is there a problem with the battery recharging to 100% and removing the power cable and it automatically drops to 98%? I wonder if they could fix that too.

• I haven’t seen that problem with the S2, on my mom’s phone.
      I haven’t heard her complaing about it.
      I’ll check and see, and will let ou know.

6. john
    July 16, 18:27 Reply

It’s a bunch of crap. Since they gave us a bunch of crap about 4.2.2 having issues there trying to please us by saying were going to get 4.3. I’ll believe it when I see it. Still love my note 2 and cant wait for the note 3..

7. amrit
    July 17, 00:20 Reply

This is not gud…y users of s3 n note2 had to wait…….

8. Sam
    July 17, 01:45 Reply

Running leaked 4.2.2 for my s3 and it working fine and to be said it is good and nearly bug free for day to day usage.

9. nitin
    July 17, 07:07 Reply

samsung is ditching is loyal customers by not updating note 2 & s3 to android 4.2.2. i think they should release the update for both the models and android 4.3 for s4 when it comes

• Wesley Da'Nomad
      July 17, 11:18 Reply

Ditching users? Right. Ok. You realize it takes coders, time, and effort to put out an update? 4.2.2 is current now, but if 4.3 is already being tested and about to drop, then lets get the latest and greatest as fast as possible. I’m fine with waiting a bit vs having outdated software on my phone.

• Anonim
        August 02, 05:26 Reply

You will allways be outdated as long as u will own an SAMSUNG. I had an galaxy s and i still think it was the best choice, but about the S3… i`m just sick of it, always htc was way faster with updates, when u will have 4.3 on s3 i`m sure that htc will release the 5.0 version. samsung are just going down, they couldn’t costumise 4.2 which allrdy runing on the s4 for the s3 and do you really think they will can create a 4.3 version for s3 s4 and note2 ? i dont think so… they`re just fuc**d up now…

• kalel33
          August 12, 19:33 Reply

Please, HTC used to be good about updates. Tell me, can you name one HTC phone that was released in 2011 that has Jellybean? You can’t because there isn’t one. Samsung updated their phones from 2011 to Jellybean. Also, HTC already called end of support of updates to the HTC One S months ago, hardly a year after it was released. You know the HTC One S, the phone with the exact same internals as the HTC One X but a smaller screen. HTC has now joined Sony and LG at the bottom of the barrel for updates.

Heck, the HTC One is still on 4.1.2. WTF is that about?

10. Chris
    July 17, 09:09 Reply

Why keep us waiting for the update if there is no update for 4.2 just update s3 and note2 to 5.0

11. UbuntuMan
    July 17, 11:18 Reply

What about the Samsung Galaxy Note that started the phablet revolution!? Isn’t it getting any 4.3 love?

12. mohammed hamdi
    July 17, 16:04 Reply

i allready done the android 4.2 to my s 3 ,,, cant waiit for the 4.3

13. Brandon
    July 17, 23:58 Reply

No I can’t wait. 4.1.2 has been the absolute worst as far as stability goes since I’ve had android going back to eclair. Sick of the wifi connectivity issues. Sick of the blue tooth issues. The I’ve been through 4 devices and six factory resets. Samsung and Verizon get your crap together. I could care less about the new update you just pushed out allowing multitasking and bkah blah blah. I want the two main things I use the most, WiFi and Bluetooth to work without constantly dropping. If I had a choice I would go back to ics. It had less problems.

14. muhammad omer
    July 18, 06:23 Reply

Waiting and waiting for 4.2 on my S3 …. Cant wait any more now ….

• parth
      July 20, 15:53 Reply

Sold out this bloody samsung product i also sold out my sgs3 and buy new nokia lumnia 520 with windows 8…dnt wait and watch…

15. guest
    July 19, 04:25 Reply

4.2.2 missed given 4.3 is about to release…….In Nov/Dec 4.3 will be missed given 5.0 is about to release…. I guess this spin will continue by Samsung…..See HTC 4.2.2 is flowing over air….

16. StaticMaal
    July 20, 00:39 Reply

I’m tired of waiting for this 4.2.2 Touchwiz update just give us the one they released for the International S3 how hard would that be? Samsung think if they keep holding it back more people will be the S4. I’m not I can’t afford and I just bought a new expensive case for my S3. Yes people are like if you want 4.2.2 that bad just install CM10.1 but it’s not the same it’s not touchwiz. I say we should go on strike. It’s not right the i9300 gets everything before the us S3 and note2 we paid good money for our phones so they need to support them. Anybody with me?

17. Bill
    July 20, 12:35 Reply

Over rumors from all directions and never anything official directly from samsung. I only just bought my S3 4G i9305 LTE expecting a 4.2.2 upgrade and now who knows what i’ll get or when. Switching to ifag 5 end of august I think if nothing forthcoming.

18. parth mehta
    July 20, 15:50 Reply

All the face news bloody cheap company i sold out my sgs3 and buy new nokia lumnia 520 windows os & nokia is more reliable than samsung…bloody samsung go to hell…

19. Hello all! Android newbie here!
    I paid some dude to root my phone and install a custom ROM, (Those are my initials, yay!).
    I’m using the Darth Stalker S3 Edition, Version #8, Android 4.1.1, of a Samsung Galaxy S3 (T-Mobile USA’s version) SGH-T999.
    If these updates come OTA soon, how can I get them?
    Or I am stuck trying to manually change to a new ROM, when they become available, because I rooted my phone?
    Thanks!

• Paruhang Chamling
      July 31, 08:23 Reply

Sorry Roberto, you won’t get OTA updates. You will probably have to wait until the devs of your ROM to release the update (which will be after Samsung releases it) and then ask the guy to do it again for you. You can however switch to the official ROM by using Kies (but you’ll lose customization and data).

20. Ramson
    August 03, 00:39 Reply

When wil galaxy note 1 get 4.2.2 update

21. Bernard
    August 06, 16:55 Reply

If Samsung go any slower they’ll start going backwards! Rumour has it the next update will be 4.0 ICS!

22. Edgar Concepcion Delovino
    August 07, 09:49 Reply

Im tired and sick playing the “this and that issue” of samsung.. Im just gonna stop hoping for updates for my note 2… maybe one day Im just gonna be surprised to see my phone updating to higher version of TW.. as people complain about delays of this update.. samsung just enjoys assuming that this cliff hanger will force consumers to buy S4 as a resort to consumers drooling mouth over 4.2 or other update sh*t

23. Majd
    August 09, 05:28 Reply

Hello!!!
    first i would like to say that 4.1.2 is the worst update ever that had come out from Samsung
    its ram draining is killing me
    when i connect my s3 to wifi network…it just lags a little bit cuz i own The International version of s3 the GT-I9300
    anyway we have got a lot of promises from Samsung that the update will be released in June…and June has gone then they said in September and i am waiting for the fuck update
    i need that update cuz i get mad when i see the Ram in my phone
    thanks for your subject but we can’t believe anymore we will believe when we see our mobiles are updating

24. Phoenyyx
    August 11, 17:19 Reply

I am willing to wait and even bypass 4.2.2, if it will allow me to install my apps on my external sd card. This is really the only thing I don’t like about Jelly Bean. It was allowed in gingerbread, and I put my navigation software and maps on my external sd card, saving my internal storage for important apps and memory. I am using directorybind now and loving having this option, but I don’t like rooting my phone, even though I purchased my S3 to keep my current contract. One other thing I would like to see is to be able to use my bluetooth PS3 controller without rooting. I know these thing may be a pipe dream now, but the functions were available in the past. I love android and would never use an Apple phone. I have both the S3 and Note 10.1. I will keep hoping and praying for my requested features.

25. Carolyn Davis
    August 22, 09:22 Reply

This is really beginning to put a damper on the excitement of owning the Note II. I was not able to download the ABC Family app (Not compatible with Android 4.1). We need that update “YESTERDAY”!! I’m really frustrated!

26. Sagar Shitkange
    August 25, 07:04 Reply

is there any 4.2.2 jelly bean update available for
    Galaxy Grand Quattro….?????reply n when it will be available

27. Ravi
    August 28, 14:21 Reply

realese 4.3 for note 2..waiting for it

28. Hrushikesh Pandit
    October 10, 06:38 Reply

i have Samsung GALAXY Note II and now im using 4.1.2 jelly bean.but, i want update android 4.2 or 4.3 for my note 2..pls tell me real date of updates in india..i have updates by them