A new version (4.1) of Google+ is rolling out to Android devices over the next few days and it’s full of new features, enhancements, and more. A post from Google’s Virgil Dobjanschi tells us that the app now plays better with pages and account switching, integration of other Google services, and pull-to-refresh. Of course, it’s not all “new and additional features” as Messenger is being pulled from the app.
Here’s the 5 key features in the Google+ 4.1 update:
- 1. Account and page switching is a lot easier Just like Gmail for Android, you can now switch between multiple Google+ accounts with a couple of taps (vs. signing out and signing in again). And the Google+ pages you manage are likewise in the app menu at all times.
- 2. Google Apps for Business features are now fully supported If your Apps administrator has enabled Google+, you can now share content publicly, with your circles, and/or with just the people in your organization. In addition: you’ll know at a glance whether someone’s profile is part of your Apps domain.
- 3. Google Drive photos & videos are now accessible from Google+ If you’re storing photos or videos in Google Drive, you now have the option to view and share them from Google+ (on Android, and the web). Drive photos in particular will get enhanced and awesome’d automatically (see plus.google.com/photos/
- 4. Location sharing includes more controls Starting today you can share your pinpoint or city-level location with others (if you want), and you can do so on a circle-by-circle basis. For example: you can share your pinpoint location with family, and your city-level location with co-workers. You can also use circles to filter who appears on your “Locations” map.
- 5. Messenger is going away, Hangouts is sticking around Now that Hangouts provides messaging and video calls across Android, iOS and the web, we’re removing Messenger from the Google+ mobile apps (first on Android, then on iOS). Later today you’ll be able to download all of your Messenger conversations (including text and photos) from Google Takeout.
The new Android app includes a handful of other updates (like pull-to-refresh), but we’ll let you discover those on your own 🙂 It’s rolling out to Google Play over the next few days (goo.gl/xaxMx), so give it a try and let us know what you think! #googleplusupdate