The Chill Box portable speaker review
|The Chill Box is an average product for your average consumer. It doesn't have amazing sound but it does have a fair price compared to other bluetooth speakers.|
Chill Pill audio has emerged into the bluetooth portable speaker market with the Chill Box aimed at competing with Jawbone’s Jambox, but fails to hit the mark. Priced at $100, the Chill Box is priced competitively however lacks the great features people want out of a bluetooth speaker, but it does boast a sleek industrial design that is catchy and if you’re looking for something relatively cheaper in price and quality then this could be something worth picking up. Although, price and looks aren’t everything.
Let me be the first to tell you that this box gets loud. Cranking it up all the way makes it unbearable if your near it, but yet it still produces clean sound. However, the sound coming out is not impressive, it lacks the ability to produce any great highs or lows.
Connecting the speaker to my phone, computer, or tablet is super easy, you just hold the power button and wait for the flashing police lights and your done. Now I have noticed that if I take my phone upstairs or outside, it starts to crackle, however line of sight without any objects is roughly 50 feet, however this is dependent upon your phone/tablet/computer that you are using as well.
This speaker is worthy of hitting the beach or an outdoor barbecue, because it gives you what you want and that is some music. Nothing fancy or exciting, but it does get the job done and will appeal to your average user. On the other hand, if you are looking for quality sound and features such as track controls, second device charging or voice prompting, you might want to look somewhere else.
- $100 price
- Easy to connect
- Colorful options which stand out (Blue, Green, or Black)
- Plenty of “sound” to fill a room
- 50 feet distance, line of sight
- Battery light roughly 6 hours of constant playing at mid volume, dependent upon volume
- Convenient carrying handle
- Aux-in port
- 1 year warranty
- Produces average sound, lacks highs and lows
- All buttons and jacks are located on the top of the device
- No battery indicator
- When making a call, the receiver complains of echoing
- Terrible wrap around fabric that looks/feels cheap
The Chill Box isn’t a bad speaker, but it lacks some functionality/quality that you can find for $50 more and unfortunately, is not good enough to earn my recommendation. However, I believe that Chill Pill audio is on the right track and hopefully the next version addresses these issues.
- Dimensions: 186×55×80mm
- Weight: 555g
- Music output: 2×3 watt
- Battery type: Lithium ion
- Battery capacity: 1500 mAh/3.7V
- Battery lifespan: 6 hour playback
- Charging voltage: 5 V (USB)
- Frequency range: 40Hz~19KHz
- Connections: 1x Micro-USB (charging portal), 1 x Line IN-AUX (3.5mm)
- Bluetooth® (wireless)
- Bluetooth Standard: CSR 4.0