Swype updated to be more powerful and personal than ever
Nuance on Wednesday announced that a new version of its wildly popular Swype keyboard is available in the Google Play Store and Amazon Appstore. More powerful and personal than ever, features now include bilingual support, continuous dictation, and customized keyboards (size, layout, tablet, etc). What’s more, there’s a new minimalist theme (Blackbird) as well as the ability to search the web for specific words using a simple Swype gesture.
You can download and install Swype from the Google Play Store or Amazon Appstore for $3.99; the updates are free to existing users.
New Upgrade to Nuance Swype Makes It Even More Powerful and Personal
New Features Include Intuitive and Flexible Bilingual Support, Improved Personalization Settings, Accessibility Features, Continuous Dictation, and More Languages
Nuance Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: NUAN) today announced that its popular living, learning Swype keyboard for Android smartphones and tablets is now available with innovative new features and enhancements that make it truly your keyboard for life. Swype is now also available for download in the Amazon Appstore for Android.
“With these latest enhancements, Swype continues to be the only keyboard people will ever need for Android – fully customizable and available to take with you on any Android device now and in the future.”
Swype’s new features include:
- Bilingual Support: Swype now features intuitive bilingual support for alphabetic languages that allows users to quickly and easily enter text in two selected languages, and words suggested by Swype will automatically adjust to the bilingual user’s language preference. Swype’s bilingual keyboard capabilities support over 1,000 language combinations, including standards like English-Spanish, French-Spanish, Polish-Czech, Portuguese-Swedish, and many more.
- Continuous Dictation: Swype now includes continuous phrase-based dictation, allowing people to see words and phrases appear on their screen as they speak. And users can select a dictation language separately from their keyboard language. So, if a user likes to Swype in English but dictate in Spanish, they can now do so without having to switch keyboards.
- Personalize Your Keyboard: People can also enjoy customizable keyboards that let users decide how big, small, wide or tall they would like their Swype keyboard to be. For instance, people can choose split and mini left/right keyboards for phablets, or landscape mini left/right keyboards for smaller devices. And people can choose their keyboard layout, whether its QWERTY, QWERTZ or AZERTY depending on the language they speak.
- Accessibility: The Swype keyboard now supports Android’s “Talkback” and “Explore by Touch” accessibility features. When accessibility features are enabled and the user inputs text on Swype, it will be spoken back to the user. “Explore by Touch” lets users navigate through the keyboard and hear each key spoken aloud. Swype also lets accessibility users make selections from the word choice list via a new “Scrub” gesture. Navigating up and outside the keyboard will activate this gesture. Once activated, the keyboard will highlight and announce the first word in the word choice list. A clockwise circular motion selects the next word while a counter-clockwise circular motion selects the previous word.
These latest enhancements are all part of the Swype personal language experience that follows users across multiple devices with Backup & Sync – making Swype the only keyboard you need for life.
“Swype has always been first to market on innovation that creates intuitive and personalized typing experiences,” said Aaron Sheedy, vice president of mobile solutions, Nuance Mobile. “With these latest enhancements, Swype continues to be the only keyboard people will ever need for Android – fully customizable and available to take with you on any Android device now and in the future.”
Swype also include new customization options, such as:
- New Indian Keyboard Languages including Gujarati, Malayalam, Marathi and Telugu.
- Swype Search Gesture where you can select your text and Swype to “S” to instantly search the web for the selected text; and,
- New Minimalist Theme entitled “Blackbird”.
Swype is now available for download on Google Play and Amazon Appstore for $3.99. To learn more, visit http://www.nuance.com/
Some items listed are opt-in connected features and are not required to use the Swype learning, living, keyboard. They include Living Language (popular trending “hot words” and crowd-sourced dialect updates), Backup & Sync, and Dragon Dictation.
Swype is a part of Nuance’s portfolio of voice, touch and natural language understanding innovations that are defining a new generation of intelligent systems and personal assistant technologies, which include Dragon NaturallySpeaking, Dragon Dictate for Mac, Dragon Assistant for Intel-inspired Ultrabooks, Nuance Voice Ads, Dragon Dictation, Dragon Go!, Dragon Mobile Assistant, Dragon Drive, Dragon TV, Dragon ID, and Dragon Voicemail to Text. With Nuance technology, people experience more humanized interactions with the world’s best phones, tablets, computers, cars, TVs, apps and services from leading manufacturers and operators.
To learn more visit: www.nuancemobilelife.com or follow us on Twitter: @NuanceMobile.
About Nuance Communications, Inc.
Nuance Communications, Inc. is a leading provider of voice and language solutions for businesses and consumers around the world. Its technologies, applications and services make the user experience more compelling by transforming the way people interact with devices and systems. Every day, millions of users and thousands of businesses experience Nuance’s proven applications. For more information, please visit www.nuance.com.
Nuance, Swype and the Nuance logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Nuance Communications, Inc. or its subsidiaries in the United States of America and/or other countries. All other company names or product names may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
You might also like
ID software Co-Founder John Carmack says his company will continue to focus on iOS games because they see the Android platform as “not as profitable”. Texas base ID software, the
In an effort to battle fragmentation on the platform, the Android Development team took to the official blog today to announce theÂ availabilityÂ of a new device dashboard.
Check out the short video clip below to get a sense for how the forthcoming Galaxy S can help you out in your day-to-day life. The commercial, if you can