Surprise, surprise! Verizon is the first carrier to offer an Android 4.4 KitKat update to its Moto X smartphone. A post on the hardware maker’s blog tells us that the update begins today and will roll out in phases. Details are as to be expected and include the standard 4.4 features. You’ll find the enhanced notification and status bar, color emojis in keyboard, updated gallery, and a new dialer.
A full changelog can be found on Motorola’s website as well as instructions on how to install the update. Note that you may not see the notification of an update for a day or so but you can begin checking manually now.
Android 4.4 KitKat details for Verizon’s Moto X include:
- An improved phone dialer. Now you can search for contacts directly from the dial-pad and easily see and tap on those you contact frequently.
- More gallery goodies. KitKat packs in some cool, new gallery effects—such as Posterize, Highlights, and Edges. You can even use the Draw feature to annotate your photos freehand with your finger.
- New Hangouts app. All of your conversations now in one place—texts, video calls, and other chats all together in one app. Plus, you can now send animated gifs and share your location.
- Color emojis. For when words aren’t enough, the Google Keyboard now includes colorful characters to send in text messages and other communications.
- Drag to focus and expose. An updated camera app lets you control both the focus and exposure of your photos. Simply drag your finger to set just the right exposure and focus point.
- And more… Restyled status and navigation bars, new full-screen mode, and enhancements to Motorola features like Touchless Control.