Spotify announces free mobile services and full Led Zeppelin catalog
It’s a big day for Spotify as the streaming music service on Wednesday announced a new free mobile experience. Available immediately, both smartphones and tablets can take advantage of a new streaming service that includes on-demand music.
The new mobile Spotify app experience allows users to:
- Your music: Listen to the playlists you create, and to those from the people you follow
- Your favorite artists: To listen to a specific artist, just hit shuffle play to listen to their entire catalogue – no settling for one track every 20 minutes from the artist you want
- Discover great new playlists: Listen to playlists for every mood, genre, or moment in time
As if that wasn’t enough, there are 20 new markets picking up Spotify availability, bringing the total to 55 markets around the globe.
Oh, and then there’s little bit about a band called Led Zeppelin. Yes, Spotify now has the exclusive rights to the entire catalogue, spanning decades. Starting today, and rolling out over the next few days, Spotify listeners can come to expect the following albums.
- Wednesday, December 11 – Led Zeppelin (1969) and Led Zeppelin II (1969)
- Thursday, December 12 – Led Zeppelin III (1970) and Untitled fourth album (1971)
- Friday, December 13 – Houses Of The Holy (1973) and Physical Graffiti (1975)
- Saturday, December 14 – Presence (1976) and In Through The Out Door (1979)
- Sunday, December 15 – The Song Remains The Same (1976), Coda (1982), BBC Sessions (1997), How The West Was Won (2003), Mothership (2007), and Celebration Day (2012)
Not too shabby, eh?
Music for everyone
Spotify now free on mobile and tablet
The best free music experience in the history of the smartphone. Available now
Spotify now available in 55 markets
From today, Spotify gives you access to millions of songs across your mobile devices for free. Listen to all your playlists, discover new music, or simply sit back and dig into your favourite artist’s entire back catalogue. And with Spotify launching in 20 new markets today, it’s never been easier for more people across the world to discover and play more great music.
Available to all today – Spotify’s new free mobile experience lets you shuffle play:
- Your music: Listen to all the playlists you’ve created and playlists from the people you follow. Spotify lets you discover new music, save, shuffle and share.
- Your favourite artists: Want to listen to a certain artist? Just hit shuffle play, sit back and listen to their entire catalogue. Don’t settle for something similar. Don’t settle for just one track from the artist you want to hear every 20 minutes.
- Discover great new playlists: Going for a jog or to the gym? We’ve got the playlist to help you go the extra mile. We know you just want the perfect music for a specific moment in time – and we’ve got you covered. There’s something for every mood, genre or moment.
We also know how much our users love to use their tablets for music at home. Unlike mobile devices, it turns out that tablets are becoming the new desktops. Tablets are where people lean in, search and build playlists.
So, starting today, iOS and Android tablet users can enjoy the same great free Spotify experience that they’ve grown to love on their computer. Any song or album, on-demand at your fingertips.
“Today we’re giving people the best free music experience in the history of the smartphone and the tablet,” said Daniel Ek, CEO & Founder at Spotify. “Whether you’re going to the gym, or having a party with friends. Just sit back and let Spotify serve you great music for every moment of your life.”
Spotify Premium continues to offer the ultimate listening experience with on-demand, ad-free access to your music in high quality, offline mode and effortless control of your home audio with Spotify Connect. Spotify is also available in its ad-supported, free version on all devices.
Did we mention it’s free?
You might also like
This morning, Google was happy to announce via their blog the official marriage acquisition of Waze. Together, Google and Waze hope to help drivers get to and from their points of
Edit: And, just like that, the deal was over. Looks like there were only 3,000 available We’ll keep an eye out to see if this deal pops up again! Yes, we’ve
Reports have surfaced tonight that the Flash 10.1 OTA will be hitting Droid handsets tomorrow and be continuing through the week. This update arrives on top of the Android 2.2