Tip: How to speed up your Samsung Galaxy S4

Tip: How to speed up your Samsung Galaxy S4

With Samsung having announced the new Galaxy S5, you may have begun to feel like your Samsung Galaxy S4 is already out-of-date, and might begin to think that it’s running a bit slow, especially if there’s a lot of content on it.

Luckily, we have a tip for you that will help speed up your Samsung Galaxy S4 and have it feeling brand new, and it’s as simple as having developer options enabled.

The little hack revolves around the animations applied to transitioning between windows and turning the device on or off. By simply turning this off, it contributes to making the device seem extremely snappy and fast.

First, you’ll need to enable the Developer Options hidden menu. To do this, go into Settings -> About Device and scroll down to “Build Number”. Now, tap on “Build Number” five times and you’ll see a notification saying that “Developer mode has been enabled”.

hidden-developer-options-s4

With that hidden menu now enabled, we can head on into it to begin fastening up our Samsung Galaxy S4.

1. Head on in to Developer Options in Settings.
  2. Scroll down to the Drawing section.
  3. Of interest here is the Window Animation ScaleTransition Animation Scale, and Animator Duration Scale.
  4. Click on them individually to change the scale.

You are able to turn the animations off completely, or set them to 0.5x (default is 1x) so the animations will be double speed for those who would like to retain them.

You’ll notice your Samsung Galaxy S4 feels substantially quicker. Let us know your comments in the section below.

Samsung Galaxy S4 | FindTheBest

Tips & Tricks

How to SIM Unlock the HTC One (M8) for free with S-OFF

The HTC One (M8) is easily one of the best smartphones of 2014 and even figures to compete with the new crop of devices as the year winds down.  Available

ROM of the Week: Paranoid Android

ROM of the Week is dedicated to highlighting our favorite custom ROMs and builds for Android users. If you’re the type who likes to tinker and push their device to

How to clear all notifications using Android L (preview)

Are you like me, and many others, who just HAD to download and play with the Android L developer preview? Did you run into the issue of having to clear

1. aby
    February 27, 13:23 Reply

Now developer menu is enabled. How to disable it now.

• bastiaan
      February 27, 14:54 Reply

In the upper right corner of the developer menu their is a on off switch. Good luck

2. Marsha
    February 27, 21:37 Reply

I just did it!! This is so amazing, thanks for the tips!

• magic
      February 28, 09:38 Reply

Also works on the HTC One

3. JustSmilin
    February 27, 21:47 Reply

My Galaxy S4 is my first Android smartphone. (My very first smartphone was the iPhone 4.) I’m still learning every day how to do new things, even though at first I was extremely overwhelmed by the change in OS. So I Said all that to ask this… Since I am such a newbie at the Android OS, I have no idea if doing something that sounds as simple as what you’re describing will void the warranty of my phone, so… Will it?

4. Anita Dossey Slater
    February 27, 22:22 Reply

I was carefully following above instructions & as soon as I tapped device build # once it popped up “developer mode enabled” & I could go no further. I know that I have never enabled it & NO ONE else has ever touched it. Any ideas?

• Dan Bartram
      March 01, 04:53 Reply

You should now see developer options as a separate menu in the settings?

• Ann
        December 29, 13:15 Reply

i just turned off animation because my galaxy s4 was causing motion sickness. Will this affect my phone’s performance? It is a new phone. Should I trade it for something else or does this happen with all the newer phones? My last phone was a droid.

• Dan Bartram
          December 31, 03:13 Reply

TouchWiz (Samsung devices) is very flowing with animations. I’d suggest something like a Sony Xperia Z3 or a Nexus device to get as close to stock as possible.

5. Marilyn Price Struse
    February 28, 03:43 Reply

I, too am fairly new to smart phones. Although my phone is only a month old, I decided to go ahead and make the change to save it from slowing down as I load more apps, etc. The instructions were simple to follow. I was rather surprised that it said it was already turned on. Anyhow, I changed the three options to, 0.5. It is amazing at the terrific change. Everything is so much quicker!! Thanks guys. Keep up the great tips.

6. Beyond Redemption
    February 28, 07:01 Reply

You Guys Rock!!!!

I find all your tech tips 100% on the MONEY.

My galaxy S4 is unbelievably supersonic after following the programmer setting dealeo…

7. Troy Wibberley
    February 28, 08:38 Reply

1 quesstion and 1 comment.
    Q-Does developer need to stay on after the changes?
    C-I noticed my WatchOn app’s lock screeen widgit appearance changed. Coincidence or possibly WO update? I changed settings back to 1.0 and the WO was unchanged.

• jbm504
      March 01, 10:37 Reply

The last watch on update changed the widget appearance for me…

8. Troy Wibberley
    February 28, 08:46 Reply

1 question and 1 comment. Galaxy S4
    Q-Does developer need to remain on after the changes?
    C-I noticed my WatchOn apps lock screen widgit changed appearance. Coincidence? I changed the setting back to 1.0 restarted the phone and the WO widgit was un changed. Seems to be really slow to show after a restart.

9. jbm504
    February 28, 21:53 Reply

I changed all to .5 and typing was sluggish. I returned animator to 1 and it seems better.

When you open developer mode you can also set your phone to not sleep when charging. I I always used that on my Motorola droids and was the only feature I missed when I got my s4. I just love this phone

10. Thomas Sweed
    March 01, 23:48 Reply

I just tried this and my phone seems much faster now. Thanks for the tip.

11. LaB
    March 17, 11:23 Reply

This fix hasn’t improved my phone’s speed at all. I’m on Sprint, if that matters.

12. KSircy18
    May 30, 06:53 Reply

I’m sorry I’m really new to this but I did everything on your list just now and it did work. My phone is so much faster. My question is what are the animations for? Like are they needed? Thanks!

• KSircy18
        May 30, 06:59 Reply

Okay I was wondering because I didn’t notice a difference in my phone except that it was faster. I was also wondering if there was a setting I could use to turn my apps off when I’m not using them. I would still like notifications but I don’t want them lingering there until I decide to use them again. Is that available?

• Jasmine
          September 24, 21:53 Reply

If you press and hold the home button, it will pop up a menu showing which apps are currently running. You can swipe to the side to close them one by one or hit the icon that looks a trash can to close them all. Some apps will still send notifications(like Facebook) while most games won’t send notifications.

13. cc3
    June 21, 04:40 Reply

What happens if you doable animations completely?

14. Sydney,RN
    July 13, 18:01 Reply

Followed the above instructions from Dan Bartram and my gs4 is indeed a little faster/smoother. Thanks!

15. Big D
    July 18, 17:24 Reply

You know anyway to fix a problem with very poor phone call quality? When I’m talking with someone they can never hear me. It just started doing this about 2 months ago. I’ve had the phone a year and a half

16. S4 owner
    August 11, 16:18 Reply

Thanks Dan….it feels like a smart phone again :)

17. Awatatah
    August 13, 22:22 Reply

Works great! FYI do not turn off developer mode or it resets the settings to default.

18. Phillipworld
    August 26, 21:48 Reply

I just did this on my S4. Worked like a charm!! Great tip. Phone feels is much faster. Thank you! Now my question is, where can I learn about what the other developer option features.

19. Dave
    September 03, 18:58 Reply

Worked on my Note 2 also. Responds faster than my stock Nexus.

20. Mark
    October 01, 05:34 Reply

Great tips. Thank you very much.

21. Lolo
    November 18, 22:41 Reply

thank you thank you thank you… much better. i still want more ideas! faster! faster!

22. fendux
    December 08, 01:36 Reply

Well where can I find the developer options?

23. Mallik
    December 08, 23:12 Reply

Could you also suggest, my Galaxy s4 response is very slow after using 32GB Class10 card form sandisk. I just followed suggested settings and i can see that difference, however i have unmounted my memory card well before this settings. Thank you !.

24. KK
    December 10, 17:01 Reply

Awesome..sped it up almost immediately….any other ideas on reducing bloatware and speeding the system up?

25. Zack
    January 13, 09:21 Reply

Like going from a moped to a corvette! Thanks guys

26. Godfrey Ssali
    January 21, 09:03 Reply

Thanks very much comrades, Maximum Respect for the great work that you do. I was starting to hate my phone for the slow response with a black screen when dialing a number, but its now very fast again. Cheers & stay blessed.

27. Ana
    January 24, 13:17 Reply

Thanks! That went better than expected.

28. Godfrey Ssali
    January 25, 18:27 Reply

Hello Androidguys,
    Please help. I went thru the instructions correctly as given, but whenever i save, it automatically goes back to the earlier default settings (1x). How can i keep it at 0.5 or off animations off completely???

29. Gus
    February 14, 16:34 Reply

What if it didnt work?

30. sandra
    February 16, 08:38 Reply

My phone is alot faster now, thank you so much for your tips.

31. Sara
    March 01, 12:24 Reply

Omg wow! My phone was so incredibly laggy and after trying this my phone is super fast! Everything just pops up instantly. Awesome, Thanks!

32. CR
    March 10, 08:01 Reply

It works. Now my s4 is very fast, thanks a lot.

33. wade brenckle
    March 13, 13:49 Reply

I navigated to where I was supposed to be in development options.I clicked off on the items I was supposed to but when I turned the options off the green on off button at the top of the screen. the items I checked off on, were restored to 1. how do I correct that? thank you

• wade brenckle
      March 13, 13:57 Reply

after reading back and post I see that I must leave the green light on works great. another question is what can I do about making my phone buffer faster on videos? another question, can I make donations to you for your trouble and effort?

34. RAGZ
    March 26, 01:28 Reply

WORKED! thank you so much. i almost did factory reset today but didnt have to after i found your page.

35. Amy
    April 07, 12:46 Reply

Wow. That was so simple and now it’s super fast? Where have you been all my Samsung life??? THANK YOU!