Nexus 5 ‘Always-On’ compatible with Ok Google command

Nexus 5 ‘Always-On’ compatible with Ok Google command

The Moto X has a great feature which allows Google Now to be triggered with a simple ‘Ok Google’ voice command, which is made possible due the device always listening for that particular phrase to be announced.

Other devices such as the Galaxy S5 can be trigged using the ‘Ok Galaxy’ voice command, but only when S Voice is actually open. It seems, however, that this background listening is not constrained to just the Moto X and is infact embedded already in the Nexus 5. A recent video shows a concept which unlocks this native compataiblty in the Nexus 5, allowing Google Now to be triggered with the simple phrase hands-free.

The concept is part of the custom OmniROM and it seems to work pretty well. Hopefully the developer can build the feature into a finalised package for deployment to the general public in order to bring true hands-free operation to the Nexus 5.

Update – It seems that the video has already been taken offline.

Full Fat Games brings Android roster to Kindle Fire

The popular Flick series of games gets Kindle Fire optimization.

HTC Rezound features wireless charging, gets a hands-on

We know a lot about the HTC Rezound, previously named Vigor, but this feature is definitely the coolest. The Rezound may be your average superphone, utilizing a 1.5GHz dual core,

Deals & Steals

Back-to-school: Motorola slashes Moto X prices yet again

Motorola has discounted the Moto X smartphone for U.S. customers yet again, this time as part of a back-to-school promotion. As of today, and for what we presume is a

1. PoopSimpson
    March 11, 20:22 Reply

Um, I’m confused. My nexus 5 had always been able to do this as long as the screen isn’t off. It always has. Did this new Rom add the capability of it working with the screen off?

• george
      March 11, 22:43 Reply

This does even when the screen is off.

• PoopSimpson
        March 11, 23:30 Reply

Very cool. How accurate is it at just opening to those words? I ask because I have voice-to-text app that opens by voice command, but when I have NPR on it inevitably turns on though the correct words haven’t been said.

• dainius d
          March 13, 06:59 Reply

So far my nexus 5s speach to text works perfect even though english is my secondary language with a eastern akcent.

2. Ian Loveless
    March 11, 20:30 Reply

I got an extra eight hours on a battery charge by turning this feature OFF. I would consider turning it back on as needed, e.g., while driving.

3. thecolor
    March 12, 13:34 Reply

I’ve been able to do this on my n5 since day one (even with the screen off).

Using autovoice secure settings and tasker… Boom, even the keyword I want instead of “ok Google”, “Google, kitt, hal, computer, etc.”

• thecolor
        March 13, 00:27 Reply

So first, have “continuous” active (you can just toggle it with a shortcut or leave it on, or have it turn on at a certain time if you’re concerned about battery life.) I use my pebble a lot for that and have it as my center button swipe up function.

second, create an auto voice “recognize” profile with your command key words; “Google, ┬áhal, kitt, computer”…

That’s the basics. I set the task to open google voice search instead of now since now requires the additional” ok Google” statement where the search command is auto listening once opened. ´╗┐

Of course you can add SO MANY more command options!

Hope that helps. :-)