Bumper cases have grown in popularity over the last few years, but some users have expressed concerns that they don’t offer enough drop protection. To combat this problem, we’ve also seen a rise in metal bumpers, like the aluminum bumpers from WitRigs. For users that want the simplicity of a bumper with maximum protection, WitRigs may have struck the perfect balance. I had the chance to review the gold and black aluminum bumpers. Let’s take a look, shall we?
- These bumpers are sturdy, as expected. They offer a premium feel (especially the gold model) that is lost with plastic and TPU bumpers.
- In a nutshell, they just look awesome. Something about metal accessories makes the S4 seem much classier and sophisticated.
- Aluminum bumpers offer the security of being screwed on, so users won’t have to worry about them falling off during use.
- Button cutouts are engineered well, and offer enough room to comfortably press the power & volume buttons
- While the screws are a pro, they’re also a con. For users that change cases frequently, it can become tiresome to get out a tiny screwdriver (one is included with each bumper) and fumble with small screws.
- With the black bumper, the sides have a more matte texture, which makes it a bit harder to hold onto than the gold bumper.
Overall, these bumpers are crafted with high quality aluminum. They give users adequate protection in a slim profile that just looks great on the Galaxy S4. If you can get around the screws (which shouldn’t really be an issue if you’re planning to use the bumper long-term), it’s hard to think of a reason not to get a WitRig aluminum bumper. Of course, a $7.99 price tag certainly doesn’t hurt either. You can grab an aluminum bumper from WitRig in a variety of colors.