Sony on Wednesday announced that the Android 4.4 KitKat update is available for the Xperia Z series of smartphones. Specifically, the Xperia Z1, Z1 Compact, and Z Ultra can now update to the recent version of Android.
In addition to the standard fare of Android features, Sony has included a few custom enhancements and settings for users.
- We’ve added our tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings… now more intuitive and customisable (and pretty easy on the eye)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
- If you’ve got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface – we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and livewallpaper across the lock and home screens
- We’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions – bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, TrackID TV, Sony Select, Smart Social Camera and…
- Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration* – a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more!
- Our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles, and more to follow soon…
As often is the case, the exact release of each device’s update varies by carriers and market. Looking ahead, Sony expects to deploy the 4.4 KitKat update to the Xperia Z, ZL, Tablet Z, and ZR starting in the middle of the second quarter.