March 27, 2015

How to install the Google Play Store on the Kindle Fire [Android 201]

google_play_logo_720

The Kindle Fire is a great little tablet, at a fantastic price point and is perfect for those hooked into the Amazon ecosystem. The Kindle range runs Android, albeit a very customised Android to a point where it is almost unrecognisable. As part of this customisation and integration into the Amazon ecosystem, the Google Play Store is nowhere to be seen. Luckily, with a bit of work, you’ll be able to hook your Kindle Fire back into the Google services.

Here we’ll show you how to get the Google Play Store on your Kindle Fire.

For this method to work, you’ll need to have your Kindle Fire rooted.

1. First off, download the ES File Explorer App from the Amazon App Store which will allow you to transfer and launch the necessary files.
  2. Download the necessary Google Play files from here and extract the files from the compressed file.
  3. Open ES File Explorer and enable ‘Root Explorer’ by going into ‘Settings’ and selecting ‘Root Settings’ and checking the ‘Super User’, ‘Root Explorer’, and ‘Mount File System’ options.
  4. Return to the folder where you extracted the downloaded files and install ‘GoogleServicesFramework.apk’ and reboot your Kindle.
  5. Once the reboot is complete, cut the ‘vending.apk’ file and paste it in the /system/app directory.
  6. Long press on the ‘vending.apk’ once it’s moved and select ‘Properties’. You’ll need to change the permissions to make sure that ‘read’ and ‘write’ are checked for ‘User’ and ‘read’ is checked for ‘Group and Other’.
  7. Install ‘vending.apk’.
  8. Return to your homescreen and look in your Home-> Apps section and open the ‘Market’ icon to launch it and sign into your Google account.
  9. Finally, you’ll want to return to the folder with the extracted files and install the file ‘gplay.apk’, reboot your Kindle, and enjoy Google Play on your Kindle Fire.

Drop us a comment to let us know if you have any issues with getting the Google Play Store on your Kindle Fire.

Related Posts

1. Dan Tresko

Hello,
    I have followed your instructions, installing ES File Explorer and Drop Box to download the Google files. When I open ESFE on my Kindle and go to settings, there’s no choice for root directory. If I choose tools,then I have Root Enhancement with Back Up Data and (Un)Install apk Automatically, both with check boxes. When I try to click on them, nothing happens.

Under Fast Access/Tools/Root Enhancement, I tried to check the box and get two different error messages: It cannot get root access on your device OR Sorry, test failed. This feature can’t run on your device.

There are no other choices for Root that I’ve been able to find.

Any further help will be appreciated.

Thank you for your further assistance,
    Dan Tresko

2. Dreadbcool4ever

Yo! Just finished your tutorial, and it worked perfectly. I got my kindle to run the google app store just perfect. Thx for the files, and step by step play through. Worked like a charm.

• Katherine

Umm…You guys probably didn’t root your device first, which is what they say at the beginning. These are directions for rooted Kindle. So calm down, google that first, and act like the grownups you are supposed to be.

• Katherine

3. Amber

Will you loose your previous games if you upgrade your Google play? We play clash of clans and don’t want to have to start over. Thanks

4. David

I opened ES File Explorer in my 1st gen. Kindle Fire and clicked “Settings” and looked for “Root Settings”. It’s not in the list. Cant find Root Settings anywhere.
    On the “Fast Access” menu, I found “Root Explorer” with a button set to Off. I clicked that and it says, “Sorry, Test failed. This feature can not run on your device.”
    Can I make that feature operable?

• 103307010

You have to root first. I recommend installing Key Root Master, (find tutorials on YouTube) for easy rooting.

5. NexusOfCrisis

This worked for me. I did have to fiddle with it a bit as, like some others have noted, things aren’t always in the place they were when this was written. ESFE has prolly been updated and changed a few times since April ’14

The one problem I ran into was after installing Play Store, I could not log into my Google account, but installing the GPlay.apk before log in and an extra reboot did the trick.

6. 103307010

Works, but you probably would have to really know what you were doing to pull this off.

POST A COMMENT.