Amazon Prime signs HBO licensing deal
Amazon on Wednesday announced the upcoming availability of select HBO programming as part of the Amazon Prime service. Set to take effect on May 21, Prime subscribers will be able to watch full seasons of shows such as The Sopranos, The Wire, and Deadwood. More current shows like Boardwalk Empire will be available in select seasons with full seasons approximately three years after airing on HBO.
It’s not the full HBO GO experience, however, but that is also coming to Amazon Prime later this year. What’s more, the full content library will still be available to HBO customers.
Content available come May 21:
- All seasons of revered classics such as The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome and Six Feet Under, and of recent favorites such as Eastbound & Down, Enlightened and Flight of the Conchords
- Epic miniseries, including Angels in America, Band of Brothers, John Adams, The Pacific and Parade’s End
- Select seasons of current series such as Boardwalk Empire, Treme and True Blood
- Hit original movies like Game Change, Too Big To Fail and You Don’t Know Jack
- Pedigreed documentaries including the Autopsy and Iceman series, Ghosts of Abu Ghraib and When the Levees Broke
- Hilarious original comedy specials from Lewis Black, Ellen DeGeneres, Louis CK and Bill Maher
In the meanwhile, Chromecast customers can get the full HBO GO experience through their smartphone apps and connected TVs.