The best Android Wear watch face apps
We’re roughly two weeks into the release of Android Wear devices (LG G Watch, Samsung Gear Live) and the apps are beginning to pile up. Plenty of developers have already updated their existing apps to support the enhanced capabilities of a smartwatch. Others devs, however, are releasing their first apps centered around these devices.
One key area we’re seeing much movement in is watch faces. Indeed, some of the most popular titles for Android Wear offer new, and customizable watch faces. And, while Google has yet to release an API to make things simple, developers are doing a great job. To that end, we’ve gathered up some of our favorites thus far.
- Timeless – Wear Watchface – Multiple backgrounds which change over time with transitions – can also be disabled if you prefer a more simple look
- Binary Watch Face – It might take some time to master but this one looks great and comes in a variety of color options and configurations. Go premium and get the full experience.
- Convergence Watch Face – Eight designer color palettes with items that move about throughout the day; based on Material Design principles
- DigiWatch for Android Wear – Pick from a variety of fonts, color options, and layouts to create your favorite look
- Starwatch – Give your watch a Star Trek-inspired makeover with time, date, and UNIX Epoch
- Matrix Face for Android Wear – Channel your inner Neo with this watch that resembles the animated code used in the Matrix films
- Smart Wear LCD Watchface – All the design language and feel of a 90’s LCD watch but without dumbing things down.
- Text Watchface – Read the time using words instead of looking at numbers – multiple language support
- WearFaces – Customize the look and feel of your clock at a deep level with this tool
- Wear Time Circuit – Standby screen displays a dot-matrix clock but when opened shows circuitry behind the time; 12/24 hour clock modes
- Better Wear Face – Two watch styles, weather in Celsius or Fahrenheit, and customized backgrounds
- Cairo Clock for Android Wear – A small gallery of both minimal and more detailed watch faces
- Minimalist Wear Watch Face – Choose the color for the hour and minute hands; the battery indicator is in the top left corner
Do note that there are plenty of other Android Wear apps designed to customize the face for your new watch. We invite to check out some of them, and the many other types of apps available for Android Wear over at SmarterWatching. There, you’ll find a growing database of apps and games for the platform, updated daily.