You like video games, right? Of course you do. If you’re a fan of the classic games of the 8-bit era, then this look is for you. Turn your phone into the perfect representation of the golden age of gaming, or fill your home screen with your favorite characters. Whatever way you want to do it, here is what you need to make it happen.
Why pay for some of these apps?
You might put in a few bucks to get things rolling but you’ll be glad you did in the long run. The sheer level of configuration and customization behind a few of these titles means endless designs. If you’ve been doing the custom home screen stuff for a while, you may have already purchased some of these apps already.
What you’ll need:
- Nova Launcher
- Swiftkey Keyboard
- Wallpaper: 8-Bit Scrolling Wallpaper
- Icons: Simply 8-Bit
- Widgets: Life Batt
- Swiftkey Theme: Retro Yellow
- Desktop grid is set to 5×5 with subgrid positioning enabled in Nova Launcher’s ‘Desktop’ settings
- The Dock is set at 5 icons in Nova Launcher’s ‘Dock’ settings
- The notification bar has been hidden in Nova Launcher’s ‘Look & feel’ settings
- A custom app drawer icon is used, which is found in the respective icon pack’s list of alternative icons.
- Wallpaper settings are set to “Scroll left” and all effects are on.
We're giving stuff away to help celebrate our tenth anniversary. Are you in?
Of course, you are not limited to what is shown here, as the icon pack contains dozens of awesome retro-gaming and sprite art to use. Also, you can use whatever wallpaper suits your fancy if you don’t like the live wallpaper.
About Steal This Look
Here at Android Guys, we’re huge fans of changing the home screen around a bit and creating a new user experience for our Android device. In fact, we love it so much that we have an ongoing series of Steal This Look posts. In a nutshell we show you a new layout, app, widget, or icon set for your Android device and tell you which apps you’ll need to mimic the feel.
Some of these are a little easier to create than others and many of them can be tweaked to no end. The above details are but the ingredients to which you can create your own delicious Android dish; your results will vary. Which is awesome! If nothing else, this is a great way to discover new apps, widgets, icons, and more!