Professional wireless engineers and IT managers are often tasked with making sure there is or will be ample wifi coverage in offices and conference rooms. It used to be a “pull our your laptop” scenario as you walked around the area lugging around an [open] notebook pc. Ekahau, the leader in WiFi site-survey tools, announced a new version of its Mobile Survey application for Android. Previously only available on a laptop, it should make for a much easier method of testing wireless coverage.
Ekahau Mobile Survey is the first enterprise-grade Wi-Fi app to provide:
- Super-easy touch-screen user interface
- Import map images from bitmap images or take a picture using camera
- Desktop Widget: See network state from the Android desktop
- Fully automated background monitoring: only disturb user when network fails
- Wide variety of supported devices
There is a whole list of support devices on their website, but if you don’t meet the MSR of at least whats listed here, don’t bother.
- Android 2.1 OS or newer
- 480 x 800 or higher screen resolution
- Installation of non-market applications allowed
Ekahau Mobile Survey v2.0 is now available from Ekahau & its partners for $399. I said it was for professionals, remember.