We’re huge fans of changing the home screen around a bit and creating a new user experience for our Android. In fact, we love it so much that we have an ongoing series of Get This Look posts. In a nutshell we show you a new layout, app, widget, or icon set for your Android handset and tell you which apps you’ll need to mimic the feel.
Some of these are a little easier to create than others and many of them can be tweaked to no end. The following details are but the ingredients to which you can create your own delicious Android dish; your results will vary. Which is awesome! If nothing else, this is a great way to discover new apps, widgets, icons, and more!
This week we’re going back in time to the glory days of the 1980’s.
Although our site’s readers vary in age, it’s safe to assume that many of you remember the good ol’ days of the Nintendo Entertainment System. Nothing today quite captures the charm of 8-bit graphics. With the surge in retro gaming today, I felt it appropriate to bring you, our readers, something to help honor the glory days of video games while also giving your phone an awesome, retro look!
Why pay for some of these apps?
You might put in a few bucks to get things rolling but you’ll be glad you did in the long run. The sheer level of configuration and customization behind a few of these titles means endless designs. If you’ve been doing the custom home screen stuff for a while, you may have already purchased some of these apps already.
What you’ll need
- Nova Launcher
- Icons: Pixel Rounds Icon Pack
- Widget: Pixel Art Clock widget
- Wallpaper: ZEdge app (search for: 8 bit)
A couple of things to note about this design:
- Desktop grid is set to 5×4 with subgrid positioning enabled
- The Dock is set at 7 icons
- Pixel Art Clock widget settings are:
- Use Theme – Bugdroid x Star Wars
- Use Decorations – Space
- Blue Cube color (found at the top of the widget’s settings page)
- 12 hour format
- All other settings are default
- We have hidden Android’s notification bar in Nova Launcher’s settings
- We have added all of our app icons to the Dock
- We have chosen a different color variation for the Dock and Camera icons. Both color variants can be found in the icon pack’s icon list
Once again, what we’ve shown you here is only the tip of the iceberg with what you can do with your phone’s look! Using the above listed apps, the sky is the limit with what you can do. Feel free to leave your ideas and creations below in the comments, and stay tuned next week for a new edition of Steal This Look!