If you happened to purchase a Galaxy S7 or S7 edge between February 23 – March 18, 2016 you qualified for a $99.99 Gear VR headset for free. I just received mine in the mail today and it’s quite a powerful virtual reality viewer. Make sure you redeem your offer before the offer expires on April 15, 2016 (click here for redemption). If you picked up your Galaxy S7 or S7 edge after the promotion period, you can still get one from online retailer giant Amazon.com for $99.98 with free shipping included.
Samsung offers six free downloads through the Galaxy App store, but you can also get more apps from the Google Play store. If you want to have a more interactive experience with the Gear VR headset, you should consider picking up a compatible game pad from Amazon.
SteelSeries Free Mobile Wireless Gaming Controller with Bluetooth for Samsung Gear VR – $30.63 from Amazon.com
- Wireless controller via Bluetooth technology
- Cross-platform compatibility with Samsung Gear VR, Android smart phones and tablets, and PC with SteelSeries Engine
- Remap all 12 buttons via SteelSeries Engine
- LED indicator used for pairing and battery status
- Rechargeable battery with an estimated 10 hrs of continuous, wireless play time
- Auto power save will turn off the controller after more than 3 mins of being idle
- Controller will work up to 30-Feet away from your computer or device
True Depth 3D BT Motion Wireless Bluetooth Gamepad for Android Smartphones – $57.99 from Amazon.com
- Recognized as a game pad without disabling internal keyboard (compatible with android 4.0 and higher)
- 10 buttons and 3 movement controls for the ultimate experience!
- Sleek Design for a comfortable and controlled grip!
- Auto-off Feature when not in use
- Wireless and USB rechargeable
SteelSeries Stratus XL, Bluetooth Wireless Gaming Controller for Windows + Android and Samsung Gear VR – $59.99 Amazon.com
- Home and Back buttons for seamless gaming on Android 3.1+ devices
- Compatible with Windows 7 and up, as well as Samsung Gear VR for use with thousands of controller-enabled games
- Works great with Steam Big Picture mode for an immersive gaming experience
- Leverages Microsoft’s XInput and DirectInput for use on a variety of platforms
- Bluetooth dongle adapter purchased separately.
I’ve selected four apps you need to try with your Gear VR or Google Cardboard to get the most from virtual reality. It’s pretty amazing how far app development has come in recent years and the proof is in these apps.
- Enjoy your favorite shows from the Discovery Channel in VR
- Dynamic 360 degree experiences
- Exclusive behind the scenes clips
- Stream YouTube videos in VR
- Simulate the movie theater experience
- VR photo gallery
- VR camera
- Browse the internet in VR
- Confront the terror of Insidious like never before in Insidious Chapter 3: Into the Further. Elise Rainier (actress Lin Shaye) acts as your guide to the horrors of the afterlife, as you navigate the Further’s darkest reaches in this chilling VR experience.
- Amazingly detailed jurassic era landscape environment
- Easy to use controls, simply look where you want to go
- Many species of dinos, from hunter carnivores to kind herbivore specimen